Does a DUI show up on your credit score? 8 Answers as of August 14, 2011

I got a DUI a couple years ago and I noticed my credit score dropped. Could this be because I was charged with a felony? How can I fix this?

Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller
Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller | Thomas Mueller
Different companies have different policies but if they use any criteria they should explain that to you in the report.
It shows in the background check they perform, and it is a factor in the computation of credit score. The general rule is: Records are forever. However, you can consider getting the conviction expunged; which would help in obtaining and keeping employment. A conviction can be 'expunged' from criminal records by proper application and Petition to the court, but only if there was no felony prison time sentenced, whether served or not, and if it was not for certain listed Sexual and Domestic Violence crimes, and if all terms of sentencing and at least one year of probation are completed, and if there are no new charges pending. A DUI would be a felony only if there was an injury accident involved. If successful, the conviction would be withdrawn and the charges dismissed. Expungement does NOT clear, 'remove' or erase the conviction, but merely changes the record to show 'conviction reversed and dismissed by expungement'. When applying for a job in the private sector, you generally do not have to disclose a conviction if it was expunged. However, the conviction is still a 'prior' or 'strike' for purposes of repeat offense, and must be disclosed on applications for government and professional employment and licensing, bonding, security clearance, etc. The licensing agency and employer then can decide whether you are barred from licensing or employment because of the conviction.
Law Office of Maureen Furlong Baldwin
Law Office of Maureen Furlong Baldwin | Maureen Furlong Baldwin
A 1st offense DUI unless you injure someoneis NOT a felony. Nowadays, LOTS of things show up on credit scores and records checks. I understand there is legislation pending to keep potential employers from using credit scores for employment applications! But as to your question, Iknow that evenUNPAID parking tickets that go to collections show up on credit scores. RISKY behavior that credit agencies can document shows up on a credit score, so I expect criminal convictions would appear. You can get a "record clearance" under PC 1203.4. That means that your case is dismissed and your guilty plea is set aside. However, the record is not "sealed" so it is still visible to potential employers, creditors and of course insurance. Record clearances are pretty easy to get. Your local probation department should have the necessary forms.
Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation
Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation | Christopher Lee
Not sure how your conviction could impact your credit score. You would likely need to talk to a specialist who is more familiar with credit scores and rankings.
The Law Offices of Christopher J. McCann
The Law Offices of Christopher J. McCann | Christopher J. McCann
No. Just a coincidence.
    Law Offices of Martina A. Vigil, PC
    Law Offices of Martina A. Vigil, PC | Martina A. Vigil
    No. Criminal records do not affect your credit score. The only way I could see a possible relation is if you failed to pay your fines and fees.
    Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation
    Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation | Paul Wallin
    A DUI conviction does not appear on your credit score.
    Yes, a DUI can affect your credit score. There is nothing you can do other to let time pass. You should, however, consider hiring an attorney to get the DUI expunged so that at least it doesn't show up on background checks.