Does a divorce need to be served at the time it is first filed? 3 Answers as of July 04, 2013

If my husband filed for divorce on Feb 18th 2011 but didn't serve me until June 22nd 2011. It it still valid?

Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation
Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation | Paul Wallin
YES, there is no specific time limit in which the dissolution papers must be served. You have 30 days in which to reply once you are served. You should consult with a family law law firm to help you properly reply to the paperwork.
The divorce case is still valid, even if your spouse delayed serving you. It does not have to be served immediately, but it could be dismissed for failure to serve within three years, or for failure to bring to trial within five years, and there may be local rules in your county which prescribe shorter time limits. Nevertheless, if the case hadn't been dismissed by the time it was served on you, the case is viable, and your Response was due to be filed and served within 30 days after service on you. If you haven't yet filed and served your Response, do it without further delay, to avoid a default being entered against you.
It is valid for 3 years from the date of filing.