Does the divorce law differ from one state to another and how do I file? 2 Answers as of April 23, 2014

I am a Palestinian married to a retired Military US citizen since October 14th 2012. I have a 14 month baby boy. I live in CA and my husband want us to move to IL. His two kids live with us full time and I am taking care of them as my own while my husband works in Chicago. My husband and I fight a lot. I got no appreciation, no matter what I am doing. He is abusing me all the time, talking bad about being an Arab and Muslim. I tried my best to stop him because we have kids and it's not good to speak this language in front of them but he never stops. I start thinking about divorce and live with my baby away from his abuse but I am not working. I don't know what the law in the US is and how I will survive alone with a baby. I am afraid if he will fight me over my baby to take him from me. He threaten me so many times that he can show his military ID to deport me from US and take my baby from me. Is the law in California different than the law in Illinois? What shall I do in my case? I really need help and great advice.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Steven Alpers | Steven Alpers
I only deal with CA law. I have no idea what IL law says on any issue. If he were arrested for abuse, you would have to call the police, you could gain an advantage on the custody issue. You may want to discuss your rights with an immigration attorney or maybe an immigration advocacy group.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/23/2014
James M. Chandler | James M. Chandler
If you live in California you can file for dissolution and also for support for yourself and the child. As well as custody of the child. I would suggest that you talk to a local attorney.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/22/2014
Click to View More Answers: