Does a company have to legally tell you who they gave your screenplay to? 6 Answers as of October 04, 2012

When I asked this company, who they gave my screenplay to they said they met with a Client but will not tell me who the Client is and then hung up on me. Am I not legally entitled to know who has and has read my screenplay? What can I do about this?

Entertainment Law Partners
Entertainment Law Partners | Tifanie Jodeh
read the submission agreement you signed with the company you gave your script to. That is the only way you may have a right to know your rights following submission.
I do not know who you gave the screenplay to or what if any contractual relationship you have with them. Unless you have a contract they do not have to do anything. Unless your screenplay is incredible, as in "Pulp Fiction", or "Casablanca", it will not have a very good chance to get green-lighted. The budgets of films today are 30 million for Hollywood big budget and 5 million for independent projects. They do not throw that kind of money around unless it is a masterpiece.
It depends on the terms of the contract you have with the company. It sounds like they're shopping your screenplay around but until they have an actual taker, I doubt they're going to tell you who all has turned them down.
Lawyer for Independent Media
Lawyer for Independent Media | Sue Basko
California law requires anyone who represents a screenwriter to be a licensed Talent Agent. You can find a database of these online at the California Department of Industrial Relations (CDIR) website. If a licensed Talent Agent is behaving unfairly, you can report it there. If you are using someone who is not a licensed Talent Agent, you can also report there that someone is operating without a license. Just from what you are saying, it sounds like you have gotten sucked into a scam situation. Talk with a lawyer or go directly through the CDIR complaint form or phone call. These contacts are on the website.
Lawyer for Indie Media
Lawyer for Indie Media | Sue Basko
What kind of company? If it is a licensed agent, they must follow certain laws and rules. If you are dealing with someone who is not a licensed agent, that is unwise and often illegal. What you can do is contact a lawyer to help you. The actions of the person sound like they are not a licensed agent, but you can have this checked. If they are operating without a license, you can report them, and they will likely be closed down, and possible arrested, and usually fined. They will also usually be required to repay their clients. Your action on this can begin by contacting a lawyer who knows entertainment law inside out.
    Neil J. Lehto, Esq.
    Neil J. Lehto, Esq. | Neil J. Lehto
    Your rights, if any, would be set forth in writing in whatever agreement you made with the company. If not required, you have no rights.