Does a company have the right to block a website hosting transfer? 1 Answers as of July 07, 2011

There is a company in Canada (Company X) which made my website. I pay fully the amount they asked to build the website (2000 CAD dollars). I wanted them to optimize my website. They asked me 2500 dollars for it. But I found a company (Company Y) who optimize it for only 400 dollars. When this new company started to optimize the website, the company X blocked the access, and removed the jobs done (pretexting that there were a breach through my website and this was too dangerous for their server) I decided to move my website to a new hosting company W. Company W wants to transfer for free my website to their server. But company X don’t want to give the access to my website. They want to charge me 247 dollars for the transfer!!! So they are taking in hostage my website and want to force me to pay extra 247 for this website transfer when this is a free service from most hosting companies. Do this company X has the right to block the FTP access to my website? Where can I complain about them?

Intellectual Property Center, LLC
Intellectual Property Center, LLC | Ak Shaf
Their rights may be based in contract or under copyright. Without knowing what agreements you entered into, i can't fully answer your question. I would suggest contacting us or another attorney to discuss who owns what. Unfortunately, some website companies never give you ownership of the copyrights related to the work they create, that is one of the reasons their initial price may be less, but once they have you, they have you locked in. Feel free to contact us or another local attorney. good luck.