Does the charge against me is enough to put me into jail? 10 Answers as of September 30, 2013

I was charged for larceny over $6 worth of stuff. This is my first offense.

Theft is theft. So, yes you can go to jail over $ 6.
Yes they can put you in jail but that is not the worst that can happen to you. You could end up with a conviction for theft on your record and be unemployable for years. What employer wants to hire a thief? Plead not guilty. Get a lawyer and see if something can be worked out so that you end up with no conviction on your record.
This is a crime of petty theft. On a first offence, you will receive summary probation and no jail time.
Get a lawyer and they should be able to have the charge dismissed. We do this all the time.
Ascheman & Smith | Landon Ascheman
That would be a criminal charge, and it would be a Misdemeanor offense. A Misdemeanor offense is punishable by up to 90 days in jail and/or $1,000 fine. That being said, it is unlikely that any jail time would result from a first offense. The more serious harm would be having that conviction on your record for the rest of your life. A theft charge can be very hard to overcome when trying to get a job.
    Larceny is a crime of moral turpitude, and if convicted you can kiss your career aspirations goodbye. Hire a lawyer before you get duped into a plea you will regret for life.
    Just about any offense is jailable. However, it is unlikely if that is your first offense. Realistically, probably the worst you face is probation with a misdemeanor on your record. Many jurisdictions allow for a diversion program for first-time offenders as a way of avoiding a public criminal record. Consult with an experienced criminal attorney in your area.
    VANJOHNSON LAW FIRM, LLC
    VANJOHNSON LAW FIRM, LLC | Anthony Overton Van Johnson
    I once witnessed a lady who chose to represent herself get sentenced to 10 days in jail for stealing a $1.20 pair of tweezers. She thought it was no big deal. The judge had a different opinion. It's the aggregate of all of the thefts that retailers suffer yearly. You cannot simply look at the one single item that you are accused of stealing. You would be well advised to retain an attorney.
    Catchick Law, PC
    Catchick Law, PC | Matt Catchick
    It's highly unlikely you'll get jail, but please ensure you plead "under advisement" or under a "diversion" program, whereby the charge is dismissed after you successfully complete a period of probation (usually 12 months) and pay a fine and attend an economic crime class.
    It is unlikely you while see any jail time.