Does bankruptcy erase the need to pay child support? 8 Answers as of November 11, 2010

My ex-husband is filing for bankruptcy, and I am afraid of how this will affect our kids. I have sole custody. Will he not have to send me child support when the bankruptcy goes through?

Child support obligations are non-dischargeable in any bankruptcy case. He must continue to send child support.
Law Offices of Geoffrey Nwosu
Law Offices of Geoffrey Nwosu | Geoffrey Nwosu
Generally, Filing bankruptcy will eliminate or reduce your debts. However, some debts cannot be easily wiped off just by filing bankruptcy. These debts include child support obligation, students loan, current taxes and few others.

It is very advisable to consult a bankruptcy attorney in your area or family law attorney in this case to see how this will affect you and your children. It is quite possible that your ex-husband has other bills might cause him to file bankruptcy. The Bankruptcy Law Office Geoffrey C. Nwosu is located in San Jose, California. Please visit our website.
The Shakoori Law Group
The Shakoori Law Group | Rachelle Shakoori
Child support is not dischargeable in bankruptcy.
Greifendorff Law Offices, PC
Greifendorff Law Offices, PC | Christine Wilton
No. You will need to go back through the family court for a change in child support orders.
Ariano & Reppucci
Ariano & Reppucci | Chris Ariano
Child support is non-dischargeable in bankruptcy. His obligation to send you child support will not be extinguished by him filing bankruptcy.