Does bankruptcy affect immigration in any way? 12 Answers as of June 10, 2013

I am a recent became US Citizen and I would like to apply for immigration for my parents and siblings who are overseas. If I file bankruptcy, does that affect my ability to apply for them in any stage? I know my parents should be able to get an immigrants visa within 6 months to one year. Thank you very much.

Dearbonn Law Offices
Dearbonn Law Offices | Ajibola Oluyemisi Oladapo
No. it does not. you only have to show that you are a legal resident by providing your social security card and /or drivers license to the trustee at the time of your creditors meeting.
The Barger Law Firm
The Barger Law Firm | Jason W. Barger
Filing for bankruptcy may affect your ability to sponsor your parents and siblings for an immigration visa. Of course, it depends on what type of visa they are applying for and from which country. Visitors from certain countries are required to have a sponsor and the sponsor must demonstrate he/she has the financial ability to support the visitors during the stay. This is similar to applying for permanent residency. The sponsor must show financial stability and an ability to support the applicants. By filing for bankruptcy, the debtor is stating that he/she cannot pay his/her debts and continue to pay for the necessities of living. This would be a hindrance to showing the ability to support visa applicants. To determine if your parents and siblings must show a sponsor to apply for a visa, visit I hope this helps you. Should you wish to speak further, I am available for consultation.
No it does not affect you if you are able to show that you have a job that pays enough for you to be able to support all your relatives for the time required by law. The problem you will face will be to show that your relatives are not going to become a public charge to the US taxpayers. Good luck!
Saedi Law Group
Saedi Law Group | Lorena Saedi
No. Filing for bankruptcy does not affect immigration status. If you are sponsoring a family member you will have to show proof of income in the form of pay stubs and tax returns. Bankruptcy however does not affect that process.
Section 525 of the bankruptcy code is an ant-discrimination provision that will help you. In other words, immigration status will not be determined by filing bankruptcy.
    The Orantes Law Firm
    The Orantes Law Firm | Giovanni Orantes
    I have asked several immigration attorneys whether having filed for bankruptcy protection impacts immigration transactions and was assured that it does not. Not being able to make your debt payments as they come due, however, may impact your ability to sponsor your relatives. Since bankruptcy discharges your debts, there may be situations in which filing for a bankruptcy discharge should precede application to sponsor a relative in an immigration transaction.