Does the amount of child support change after my ex spouse gets remarried? 1 Answers as of July 29, 2011

I pay my (ex-wife) childs mother $700 child support. She recently remarried. Does that change the child support amount? Also, my sister currently lives in my house, can my ex wife use that against me?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
ROWE LAW FIRM | Jeffrey S. Wittenbrink
Child support will not necessarily change because one spouse or the other gets remarried. Child support in Louisiana is based upon the combined income of the parents, and allocated according to a table which is published in the Louisiana statutes called the child support guidelines. A significant change in income can be considered as a "material change of circumstances" such that child support may be affected. The remarriage of a spouse can change child support where the new spouse pays a significant amount of the household expenses of the remarried parent, but judges do not often use that as a reason to change child support after it has been set. To the extent that your sister pays any household expenses while living with you, that may affect what is determined to be your "income" for child support purposes.
Answer Applies to: Louisiana
Replied: 7/29/2011
Click to View More Answers: