Does Adjournment in Contemplation of Dismissal WITH Community Service mean conviction? 1 Answers as of February 04, 2014

I received an Adjournment in Contemplation of Dismissal for NY PL 165.40/155.25 and served 3 days community service. After 6 months, the case was dismissed and sealed. Was this a conviction?

Law Office of Richard Southard
Law Office of Richard Southard | Richard C Southard
It is absolutely NOT a conviction. I am attaching a portion of the statute that governs ACD's in New York; it should help put your mind at ease. Criminal Procedure Law Section 170.55 (8) states: The granting of an adjournment in contemplation of dismissal shall not be deemed to be a conviction or an admission of guilt. No person shall suffer any disability or forfeiture as a result of such an order. Upon the dismissal of the accusatory instrument pursuant to this section, the arrest and prosecution shall be deemed a nullity and the defendant shall be restored, in contemplation of law, to the status he occupied before his arrest and prosecution.