Does 12 weeks seem excessive for someone to be out of work for soft tissue damage from a terrible rear-ender? 20 Answers as of April 11, 2013

I was in an accident Sept 21 2012. I had lots of burns and from seat belt and bruises. I also had what the suspect is an occult fractured pelvis. Just want to be reimbursed for my mixed time from the other girl’s insurance com.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
See an attorney. If it was in Michigan you claim for lost wages is against your policy.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 12/3/2012
David F. Stoddard
David F. Stoddard | David F. Stoddard
This is a medical question, not a legal question. However, from my experience dealing with my client's injuries, there is really no standard for the length of time a soft tissue injury may keep you out of work. You mention an "occult fractured pelvis". I am not familiar with the term "occult" with this type injury (perhaps it is acute?). Nonetheless, if there is a fracture, this is not a soft tissue injury. You should follow your doctor's advice as to when to return to work.
Answer Applies to: South Carolina
Replied: 4/11/2013
Barr, Murman & Tonelli, P.A.
Barr, Murman & Tonelli, P.A. | Daniel P. Mitchell
Twelve weeks does not sound particularly excessive to me. Many people are out of work for longer periods due to soft tissue injuries. A fractured pelvis is not a soft tissue injury. However, it usually heals uneventfully. You should follow your doctor's instructions and restrictions. You should consult an attorney if you intend to pursue a claim for your injuries.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 12/3/2012
Sapiro Gottlieb & Kroll | Lawrence Kroll
This is a medical question, not a legal question. It completely depends on the nature and extent of the injuries, and the doctor's recommendation.
Answer Applies to: New Jersey
Replied: 4/11/2013
Adler Law Group, LLC
Adler Law Group, LLC | Lawrence Adler
The other side must pay it if they are at fault especially if a dr. backs you up. You will also get a significant recovery for pain and suffering
Answer Applies to: Connecticut
Replied: 12/3/2012
    The Law Firm of Reed & Mansfield
    The Law Firm of Reed & Mansfield | Jonathan C. Reed
    No. Why don't you hire a lawyer.
    Answer Applies to: Nevada
    Replied: 4/11/2013
    Law Offices of Ronald A. Steinberg & Associates | Ronald A. Steinberg, BA, MA, JD
    If you were injured in Michigan, then you MUST make a claim against YOUR OWN auto insurance for you No Fault PIP (personal injury protection) benefits. Your insurance company must pay the reasonable charges for all of your necessary medical care; you lost wages while you are off work due to the injuries in the accident (your treating doctors must support your claim of disability); your household replacement services; your mileage to and from all treating doctors, hospitals and pharmacies. You must file your claim within one (1) year of the accident; you must promptly submit all bills and other claims; you must sue your insurance company for any bills not paid promptly, because if a bill is more than one (1) year old, then the insurance company does not have to pay it. Now, if your injuries are objective, and if they significantly impact your life style, etc., then you may have a claim against the other owner and driver for your pain and suffering. You must sue within three (3) years of the accident date or be barred by the Statute of Limitations.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 12/3/2012
    Bernard Huff, Attorney/Mediator
    Bernard Huff, Attorney/Mediator | Bernard Huff
    Loss of work and injuries from an accident should be documented through medical reports and employment records. That information should be furnished to the other party's insurance company in order to substantiate your claim.
    Answer Applies to: Indiana
    Replied: 12/3/2012
    The Law Office of Stephen R. Chesley, LLC
    The Law Office of Stephen R. Chesley, LLC | Stephen R. Chesley
    Everyone is different with regard to healing from spinal injuries. 12 weeks may be considered. The NYS threshold is 90 days. You should follow your doctors advice and your common sense. You should contact an attorney to discuss your case and desires.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 12/2/2012
    Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A.
    Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A. | Paul L. Whitfield
    That is a medical question and if appropriate ought to be paid for.
    Answer Applies to: North Carolina
    Replied: 12/2/2012
    Lombardi Law Firm
    Lombardi Law Firm | Steve Lombardi
    No that doesn't seem like an excessive amount of time.
    Answer Applies to: Iowa
    Replied: 12/2/2012
    Ferguson & Ferguson
    Ferguson & Ferguson | Randy W. Ferguson
    Not if it was a really bad accident. Normally 4-6 weeks depending on chiropractor or therapist. It definitely can go up to 12 weeks.
    Answer Applies to: Alabama
    Replied: 12/2/2012
    Arkady Itkin
    Arkady Itkin | Arkady Itkin
    Generally, it doesn't sound excessive, but the insurance company will use this and other arguments in their attempt to pay a lower settlement, and this is one of the known strategies.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 12/2/2012
    Andrew T. Velonis, P.C.
    Andrew T. Velonis, P.C. | Andrew Velonis
    Not at all. The phrase "soft tissue" is a phrase used by insurance adjusters in an attempt to downplay the seriousness of damage to muscles, tendons, ligaments, etc. Injury to connective tissue is just as painful and disabling as injury to bones or organs, sometimes moreso. Now about the insurance: You get reimbursed for your missed time from work from No-Fault insurance, same as your medical expenses. If you were a passenger, then it's the car owner's policy that covers you. If you were a driver, it's your policy or the policy of the owner of the car you were driving that provides coverage. It doesn't matter who caused the accident, that's why they call it no-fault. You may be able to get compensation for pain and suffering as well, so get a lawyer in your area to advise you on that. Personal injury lawyers offer free consultations.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 12/2/2012
    Frank Law Group, P.C.
    Frank Law Group, P.C. | Brett E. Rosenthal
    Not at all if the impact was significant with large property damage 12 weeks is not only reasonable, but depending on the status of your injuries may require additional time off to recover. You have 2 years post accident to file suit, but once you have reached pre-accident status you want to obtain all your medical records and bills, and calculate your lost time from work and make a demand to resolve the case. However, the statistics are such that you will do substantially better if represented. If you have any questions, feel free to call me at the number below.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 12/2/2012
    The Westerfield Law Firm
    The Westerfield Law Firm | Mark Westerfield
    Please hire a lawyer to work with you on this. Even after you pay the lawyer a percentage fee, you will probably end up with more money in your pocket than if you try to do this on your own. Insurance companies and adjusters are experienced in dealing with non-lawyers and they know how to take advantage of the situation. An experienced personal injury lawyer can evaluate your case and decide what the other insurance company should pay in a settlement.
    Answer Applies to: Virginia
    Replied: 12/2/2012
    Douglas J. Smith, Attorney
    Douglas J. Smith, Attorney | Douglas Smith
    If the girl had good insurance coverage, they should reimburse you for soft tissue damage, lost wages, and pain and suffering. Don't settle until you are completely healed. Get a copy of the police report, keep track of all your medical expenses and documentation of time you could not work.
    Answer Applies to: Oklahoma
    Replied: 12/2/2012
    Barry Rabovsky & Associates
    Barry Rabovsky & Associates | Barry Rabovsky
    We would be happy to provide you with a free consultation if you call my office at either of the numbers listed below. If my office accepts your case, there is no fee charged unless we are able to obtain a settlement for you.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois
    Replied: 11/30/2012
    Tenge Law Firm, LLC
    Tenge Law Firm, LLC | J. Todd Tenge
    No. It is important, however, in terms of proof that your medical provider(s) has indicated somewhere in the medical records that due to your car accident injuries you were unable to work for that period of time. The ultimate proof is what is called a "work release" or a "work release prescription".
    Answer Applies to: Colorado
    Replied: 11/30/2012
    Koning & Jilek, P.C.
    Koning & Jilek, P.C. | Jonathan Neal Jilek
    You should contact a personal injury attorney. You are entitled to no fault benefits and may be entitled to additional sums from the at-fault driver.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 11/30/2012
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 4 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney