Do you think I can get a good settlement for my accident that resulted in my swollen disc? 24 Answers as of October 23, 2013

I was involved in and accident back in Dec 2012. I just discover that I have a swollen disc. I have been having bad bad headache. I just had an eeg done and they think that I have concussion. My speech is very sludge. I have trouble with my eyes. such as the light. My left leg is painful and I only can walk a short distance. I was not at fault and 18 wheeler ran the red light as I was going through the green light and sent me all over the place. Where do I stand? I am still seeing the doctor and I don't have no income. No income coming and I am not working because the job I had do not have any hours for me.

Your story starts out like you just found out all these things and the accident happened 10 months ago. Have you been under continuous care of a doctor from the start? If so you may have a good claim I would be happy to talk to you about all the facts. You would be well advised to have a lawyer if all these 3 problems came from the accident and you can prove it.
Gregory M Janks, PC
Gregory M Janks, PC | Gregory M Janks
Is this a Michigan question? If so, your own insurer will pay you No Fault (PIP) benefits, which include WAGE LOSS, medical expenses and replacement services. So your statement about no income should not be true in Michigan (unless you were permanently unemployed and/or refused to carry vehicle insurance). Further, since your own vehicle insurer will pay for all crash related medical testing/treatment, there is no reason to not have a full medical work up to determine what injuries/disability you have from the crash. Then if you have suffered a serious impairment of a body function and/or a brain injury, you would be entitled to make a pain & suffering claim against the at fault trucker/trucking company. If you haven't consulted a local Michigan lawyer (if this is a Michigan crash) that regularly handles truck crash cases, you should do so immediately.
Candiano Law Office
Candiano Law Office | Charles J. Candiano
You need a highly experienced personal injury attorney. You describe symptoms of spine injury which may require surgery and a closed-head injury with serious deficits like speech slurring. You need an attorney with the experience and resources to get fair value for you. There is a commercial insurance policy which means there is plenty of coverage. These cases are very D the requisite resources. Attorneys on Law QA want to help you but are NOT permitted to solicit your business.
Lombardi Law Firm
Lombardi Law Firm | Steve Lombardi
It's probably not a swollen disc but a bulging disc. Many people have this condition, even though yours may be caused or aggravated by the collision. But I wonder if your condition isn't different than a simple disc problem. Might you have suffered an injury to your brain? Your symptoms indicate you did.
Answer Applies to: Iowa
E. Ray Critchett, LLC
E. Ray Critchett, LLC | Ray Critchett
You appear to still have a lot of health related issues so you may not be in the right position to settle your claim at this time. Keep in mind that you only have two years (in Ohio) to file a lawsuit or get your claim resolved. You should schedule an appointment with an attorney to discuss your injuries and case in greater detail so that you can make an educated decision on how to proceed.
    Adler Law Group, LLC
    Adler Law Group, LLC | Lawrence Adler
    You may get a good settlement, but you gave no info about the cause of the accident. If there is no liability there will be no settlement in all likelihood. You should hire a lawyer to address your specific issues and to build your case.
    Robert C. Slim - Attorney at Law
    Robert C. Slim - Attorney at Law | Robert C. Slim
    It sounds like you have a case worth investigating, but my concern is the time that has passed. Have you been seeing a doctor for these conditions, or is this the first time you are seeking medical treatment?
    Given those facts, you certainly can look forward to a good settlement. DO Not try to handle this yourself; get an experienced attorney.
    Maybe, but my feeling is you need to see an experienced personal injury lawyer.
    Pete Leehey Law Firm, P.C.
    Pete Leehey Law Firm, P.C. | Pete Leehey
    What you describe is a very serious situation. There are many things that can and should be done to develop and demonstrate your losses. If you have not already retained the services of an experienced personal injury lawyer, you need to do so as soon as possible. The chances of getting a "good settlement" without proper representation are not good.
    Answer Applies to: Iowa
    Belushin Law Firm, P.C.
    Belushin Law Firm, P.C. | Vel Belushin
    You might have a case if these medical issues were caused by the accident.
    Wayne J. Wimer, Inc. P.S.
    Wayne J. Wimer, Inc. P.S. | Wayne J. Wimer
    If you are still having problems 10 months after the accident and have been seen by medical doctors who can document your injuries and who are willing to testify that your injuries were caused by the accident, then you should be entitled to substantial compensation for the same. If the semi truck driver in fact ran a red light and you were not at fault, then establishing liability should not be a problem. Lastly, if you are not working at present due to your injuries, then you should be compensated for your work loss as well.
    Vasilaros Legal,LLC
    Vasilaros Legal,LLC | Steven T. Vasilaros
    You certainly have a valid claim. I cannot guess at the value because there are many factors that are involved in case evaluation. You need to be represented by an attorney knowledgeable about these type of cases.
    I don't know what you mean by "swollen disc" but I can't urge you strongly enough: hire an experienced personal injury lawyer in your area right away! From what you describe, you have an excellent case and you will have your choice of available lawyers. Now, here's my advice on how to do that: don't just call whoever has the biggest advertising budget. See if you can get a reccomendation from a family member, friend or friend-of-a-friend. I'd also recommend going to a small firm or solo practitioner: if you go to a big law firm you will be just one more client, but if you go to a solo practitioner, you might be his/her best client and get expert service.
    Julie Butcher Law Office
    Julie Butcher Law Office | Julie A. Butcher
    You should consult an experienced Trucking accident attorney right away and protect your rights.
    Answer Applies to: Kentucky
    Law Offices of John W. Merting, P.A.
    Law Offices of John W. Merting, P.A. | John W. Merting
    It is important for you to hire an attorney who has extensive experience handling 18 wheeler cases to trial. Trucking companies are required to keep records of their drivers hours, log books and black boxes , but only for a short time. Get such an attorney promptly and have him demand that the trucking company preserve all of those records, including maintenance records on that truck.
    Lewis B. Kaplan | Lewis B. Kaplan
    Maybe you can get " a good settlement" if you can prove that all your ailments are caused by the collision. My opinion is that you would be foolish to try to negotiate settlement without hiring a lawyer.
    You really need to talk to an attorney as soon as possible. It appears that you have a very good case.
    The Law Office of Stephen R. Chesley, LLC
    The Law Office of Stephen R. Chesley, LLC | Stephen R. Chesley
    It is difficult to determine the amount or value of a case without a review of the medical records. You should discuss this matter with your attorney who would be in the best position to evaluate same.
    Durham Jones & Pinegar | Erven Nelson
    You should see a good personal injury attorney to pursue your claim against the driver and his employer. You will need to prove that your injuries resulted from the accident.
    Di Giacomo & Gruss | Christopher Di Giacomo
    I believe you have a strong case for negligence. On the damages end I would need to see what your final prognosis is going to be in the future. Obviously the more serious the injury,the more likely hood of a strong financial recovery. Be careful because in the State of Massachusetts you have 3 years to pursue a legal claim for negligence.
    Sarrail, Castillo & Hall, LLP | Monica Castillo
    You should contact a personal injury attorney to discuss your potential claim.
    Tenge Law Firm, LLC
    Tenge Law Firm, LLC | J. Todd Tenge
    Absolutely. Although it won't happen without a qualified and skilled personal injury attorney on your side. I encourage you to consult with a couple, and retain the one you feel most comfortable with. Also, please do not settle your case just yet. There are still too many "unanswered" questions surrounding the extent of your injuries, future medical care, impact on your earnings, and in particular, the extent and permanency associated with your concussion. You never want to resolve an injury claim until you know the full extent of your injuries, damages and losses (especially medical and work related). These seem to me from your question to be relatively unknown at this time. Finally, keep in mind that Colorado has a 3 year statute of limitations governing auto accident claims, so you must act before then, or you lose your rights completely. I encourage you to seek counsel from a qualified and skilled injury attorney right away. A good one can even help you navigate the medical treatment maze as well.
    End, Hierseman & Crain, LLC | J. Michael End
    It sounds like you have a good case. It will be important for you to have documentation of your injuries by way of medical records by the doctors who have treated you. I suggest you consider hiring a lawyer to represent you. Otherwise, the trucker's insurance company will take advantage of you. Keep in mind that the statute of limitations for accident cases in Wisconsin is three years from the date of the accident.