Do you need to prove anything when you marry a U.S. citizen? 3 Answers as of November 08, 2010

When someone who is not a citizen wants to marry someone his is US citizen? Do the lawyers have to do it?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Pacifica Legal Services
Pacifica Legal Services | Floyd Fernandez
For an immigrant to marry a U.S. citizen clearly does not grant automatic legal status in the USA, either citizenship or permanent legal residency. What you do get is eligibility to obtain legal residency in a two-step process through your husband/wife: 1) he/she files an I-130 Petition for Alien Relative, which when granted allows your to file to gain permanent legal residency (LPR). The second step, which requires a great deal of supporting forms and documents, can either be done through adjustment of status (if you're still in the U.S.), or through consular processing (if you're outside the USA when you file your application for LPR). If you want to discuss the matter further, by all means call or e-mail me to set up an appointment to discuss your situation in person or by phone.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 11/8/2010
Law Offices of Svetlana Boukhny
Law Offices of Svetlana Boukhny | Svetlana Boukhny
You do not need to have a lawyer assist you if you know what to do on your own, but you will need to prove to the satisfaction of the USCIS that the marriage is bona fide.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 10/29/2010
Law Offices of Juan Dotson
Law Offices of Juan Dotson | Juan Dotson
Lawyers help streamline the process of becoming a permanent resident and subsequently a US citizen. A lawyer is not necessary to adjust your status. However, we are able to anticipate problems and work out solutions before it becomes a big issue (removal!).
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 10/28/2010
Click to View More Answers: