Do you legally have to tell your employer that you are pregnant? 3 Answers as of July 29, 2011

I need to know when by law I have to tell an employer I am pregnant.

Rice & Co., LPA
Rice & Co., LPA | Kollin Rice
You would have to inform your employer at such time as it would be necessary to give reasonable notice of a need to exercise FMLA leave. (Arguably you would not even need to disclose your exact condition then.) In any case, it's pretty likely someone will figure it out long before that point comes. Once you start to show, I would suggest this is probably an optimal time to have a conversation with your employer. You probably do not want to look like you are hiding from your employer, but nor is it your obligation to inform your employer of every detail of your health and personal life. Pregnancy discrimination is not uncommon in our society. In many jobs, employers may be concerned about your health and as a result be overly protective, to the detriment of your job. Other times individuals may be resentful of you, or have an opinion that being pregnant projects an image that is not consistent with what the company wants. If you are in a situation where you anticipate such problems (and from your question I believe you may be), you should familiarize yourself with your rights.
Bernard Huff, Attorney/Mediator
Bernard Huff, Attorney/Mediator | Bernard Huff
Check with EEOC to determine if your inquiry falls within its pregnancy guidelines.
Law Office of Eli M. Kantor
Law Office of Eli M. Kantor | Eli Kantor
There is no legal requirement as to when you have to tell your employer that you are pregnant. However, you do need to tell your employer when you want to take your maternity leave.