Do you have to live apart to get divorced? 18 Answers as of July 12, 2013

To file for divorce do I have to live in a different residence than my spouse?

Deal & Hooks, LLC
Deal & Hooks, LLC | Shawn P. Hooks
No you don't have to live in a different residence to file for divorce. That is one possible ground, but there are many other grounds that you have available; including incompatibility.
No. One reported appellate case a few years ago required that, but the Courts and attorneys are not requiring that the parties live in separate residences. Only that there be a communication and manifestation that the marriage is over.
Berner Law Group, PLLC
Berner Law Group, PLLC | Jack Berner
Not in the state of Washington. If you're a Western Washington resident, feel free to contact my office for a free, no obligation consultation regarding your situation.
You do not have to separate in order to file. But you do have to separate and "cease living together as husband and wife" before the final hearing. That requirement is tricky, since Texas recognizes common law marriage. Accordingly, while you could technically remain roommates, it does muddy the water and separation is the cleanest way to clear it up.
No, it is not necessary. Simply see an attorney and hire him/her to start the divorce action for you. Good luck.
    Law Office of James Lentz
    Law Office of James Lentz | James Lentz
    Not only do you not have to live apart, many parties to divorce find that they cannot afford two residences until they sell or otherwise rid themselves of the marital domicile. Please see a local domestic relations attorney for further information.
    You can still get divorced, even if you and your spouse live in the same residence.
    Doi/Luke, Attorneys at Law, LLLC
    Doi/Luke, Attorneys at Law, LLLC | Gavin K. Doi
    In the State of Hawaii, there is no requirement that spouses have to be physically separated before filing for divorce.
    Answer Applies to: Hawaii
    Willick Law Group
    Willick Law Group | Marshal S. Willick
    No. There is no such requirement.
    Law Office Of Jody A. Miller
    Law Office Of Jody A. Miller | Jody A. Miller
    In Georgia, you do not need to live in separate residences in order to obtain a divorce.
    No, but failure to physically separate can cloud the issue of date of separation. If you are looking for an attorney and are in my area, please contact me for a free consultation.