Do the years of living apart reduce the length of marriage? 1 Answers as of July 02, 2017

Both my spouse and I are from India. Frustrating marriage of close to 10 years where only I worked. Now, I wanted to go back to India and she filed a divorce case here and asks for alimony based on last year’s income which would make it impossible for me to exercise my right to return to my native country (I have acute Bipolar for which I think the social setup I have there can help. I have aged parents in India who would be happy to have me closer). The first few years of marriage, I was in USA and she in India. For visa purpose as well as differences back then itself. I have a mobile/manufactured home much before the marriage. I did a refinance during the marriage. We lived in this house. Does it impact separate property status? If yes, will it be equal or some other proportion?

Peyton and Associates | Barbara Peyton
Yes. Length of marriage is from date of marriage to date of separation.