Do we need to establish dual citizenship for my child for him to come to the US? 2 Answers as of June 20, 2011

I am a US citizen, my spouse is a German citizen. Our young child was recently born in Germany, is a German citizen, and will receive a German passport this week. We have not yet registered his birth at the local US embassy, established a claim to US citizenship, or applied for a US passport for him. We are planning on traveling to the US soon. Can our child travel to the US on his German passport, or are we required to establish a claim to US citizenship and apply for a US passport for him in order to enter the US? Thank you for your assistance.

Not required but a good idea as it is easier to do overseas even if you just do the Report of Foreign Birth Abroad and don't apply for the U.S. passport until a later date although I recommend getting both passports and use the German one for entering and leaving Germany and the U.S. one for entering and leaving the U.S.
If he is traveling under the German passport then he will need a visa. I would sort out his U.S. citizenship will make life easier.