Do we need to establish dual citizenship for my child for him to come to the US? 2 Answers as of June 20, 2011

I am a US citizen, my spouse is a German citizen. Our young child was recently born in Germany, is a German citizen, and will receive a German passport this week. We have not yet registered his birth at the local US embassy, established a claim to US citizenship, or applied for a US passport for him. We are planning on traveling to the US soon. Can our child travel to the US on his German passport, or are we required to establish a claim to US citizenship and apply for a US passport for him in order to enter the US? Thank you for your assistance.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC | Lynne Feldman
Not required but a good idea as it is easier to do overseas even if you just do the Report of Foreign Birth Abroad and don't apply for the U.S. passport until a later date although I recommend getting both passports and use the German one for entering and leaving Germany and the U.S. one for entering and leaving the U.S.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/20/2011
Law Offices of Caro Kinsella
Law Offices of Caro Kinsella | Caro Kinsella, Esq.
If he is traveling under the German passport then he will need a visa. I would sort out his U.S. citizenship will make life easier.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 6/20/2011
Click to View More Answers: