Do we have to wait for our insurance company to get the accident report or can we legally get it ourselves? 26 Answers as of July 10, 2013

Our auto insurance agent says they have a third party vendor request the accident report and that it was asked for on June 18 and it would take three weeks.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of John G. Galasso | John George Galasso
You should be able to go to the police department who took the report and get a copy.
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 7/10/2013
Habush Habush & Rottier
Habush Habush & Rottier | Joseph Troy
You have a right to contact the investigating police agency (city police, county sheriff, state patrol) and get a copy of the report yourselves.
Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
Replied: 7/7/2013
Law Offices of Ronald A. Steinberg & Associates | Ronald A. Steinberg, BA, MA, JD
Certainly you can get it yourself. Make sure its accurate.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 7/7/2013
Gregory M Janks, PC
Gregory M Janks, PC | Gregory M Janks
Of course you can get it yourself and supply it to your insurer.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 7/7/2013
Gates' Law, PLLC | Thomas E. Gates
You can the report yourself, either from the police or state patrol.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 7/7/2013
    Gary L. Platt, Attorney at Law | Gary Platt
    If you were involved in an accident, you should have been given some information from the reporting officer or the law enforcement agency for which he works (CHP, Sheriff, or local police department) on how and when to obtain the report which is going to be generated. Usually (especially if it's a CHP case) you are given a card with the report number and/or the investigating officer's name and badge number, so you can contact the reporting agency when the report is ready. You do not have to wait for your insurance company to obtain the report.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 7/5/2013
    Caldwell Law Group, PLLC
    Caldwell Law Group, PLLC | Christopher Caldwell
    You can get a copy of the police report yourself.
    Answer Applies to: Idaho
    Replied: 7/5/2013
    No you or your counsel can obtain it. But you will need an attorney to resolve your injury claim BC the carrier will not settle with you for a fair and equitable amount.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 7/5/2013
    Candiano Law Office
    Candiano Law Office | Charles J. Candiano
    It would never take 3 weeks. Anyone can get a copy. If it was a fatal accident, the supplemental report will not be available for several weeks but the basic report is available.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois
    Replied: 7/5/2013
    Wayne J. Wimer, Inc. P.S.
    Wayne J. Wimer, Inc. P.S. | Wayne J. Wimer
    Your accident-you are entitled to request a copy of the accident report from WSP and/or other agency that investigated the accident. You don't have to wait on your insurance company to request it.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 7/5/2013
    James E. Hasser, Jr. P.C.
    James E. Hasser, Jr. P.C. | Jim Hasser
    Sure, you can get the accident report online in Alabama if it's ready.
    Answer Applies to: Alabama
    Replied: 7/5/2013
    Briny Woods
    Briny Woods | Briny Woods
    You definitely have a right to obtain the police report yourself. Just call the police station to find out their specific process, since they all differ.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 7/5/2013
    Goldman & Maurer, LLP | Brian Goldman
    Accident reports are available at the precinct where the accident occurred. The fee is $10. However, they are only kept at the precinct for a short time (usually 30 days). You can call the precinct and give them the date and time of the accident, location and your name and ask them if they still have it. If so, get a postal money order and you can go in person and pick it up. If its already been sent to Albany, then you can go online and order one.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 7/5/2013
    The Lariscy Law Firm, PC
    The Lariscy Law Firm, PC | Joseph E. Lariscy, III
    You should be able to obtain a copy of the police/accident report from the county police station where the accident occurred.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia
    Replied: 7/5/2013
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 4 5 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney