Do we have to report the money my mother will inherit to the state? 1 Answers as of April 28, 2016

My mother has Social Security and a small pension. She is in assisted living and Medicaid covers what she is not able to cover. She is about to receive a small inheritance of $24,000.00 We would like to use the money for a car that will accommodate a wheelchair.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Minor, Bandonis and Haggerty, P.C.
Minor, Bandonis and Haggerty, P.C. | Brian Haggerty
Yes, you have to report it; your plan to buy a car which would accommodate her wheelchair might be an acceptable "spend down." You could work with a lawyer who works in "elder law," or just discuss this matter with your mother's SPD caseworker.
Answer Applies to: Oregon
Replied: 4/28/2016
Click to View More Answers: