Do we have to pay for the I-485 form? 3 Answers as of August 23, 2010

My mom is an American citizen and I’m not. She applied for my citizenship and already filed the I-130 form. I’m going into my senior year and I need to be able to get a job. Money is tight and I want to know if there is any way we don’t have to pay the fee or if we can do something else? I just want to do the right thing.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Pacifica Legal Services
Pacifica Legal Services | Floyd Fernandez
I have received your e-mail and I would be pleased to help if I can. I would say that you will probably have to pay the $1,010 fee for the I-485 application for adjustment of status, which is what you are talking about. Your mother can only sponsor you if she is herself either a citizen or permanent legal resident. If your mom is a U.S. citizen she should be able to successfully gain your legal status with such an application, especially since you are an entering senior in high school. If you want, I would be glad to be of help.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/23/2010
Law Offices of Juan Dotson
Law Offices of Juan Dotson | Juan Dotson
You may apply for a fee waiver and wait for processing (up to a year, usually less). The standard is pretty high, you must pretty much have no money; inability to pay must be supported by bills, bank statements, taxes, tuition statements, etc.

If the fee waiver is approved, I-485 application will be processed (in low priority; you cannot seek to expedite processing). If the fee waiver is denied, then the case is sent back and you will be asked to pay the fee for processing.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/30/2010
Click to View More Answers: