Do we have to pay for the I-485 form? 3 Answers as of August 23, 2010

My mom is an American citizen and I’m not. She applied for my citizenship and already filed the I-130 form. I’m going into my senior year and I need to be able to get a job. Money is tight and I want to know if there is any way we don’t have to pay the fee or if we can do something else? I just want to do the right thing.

I have received your e-mail and I would be pleased to help if I can. I would say that you will probably have to pay the $1,010 fee for the I-485 application for adjustment of status, which is what you are talking about. Your mother can only sponsor you if she is herself either a citizen or permanent legal resident. If your mom is a U.S. citizen she should be able to successfully gain your legal status with such an application, especially since you are an entering senior in high school. If you want, I would be glad to be of help.
Law Offices of Juan Dotson
Law Offices of Juan Dotson | Juan Dotson
You may apply for a fee waiver and wait for processing (up to a year, usually less). The standard is pretty high, you must pretty much have no money; inability to pay must be supported by bills, bank statements, taxes, tuition statements, etc.

If the fee waiver is approved, I-485 application will be processed (in low priority; you cannot seek to expedite processing). If the fee waiver is denied, then the case is sent back and you will be asked to pay the fee for processing.