Do we have to get a legal divorce if we are common law partners and is now filing for bankruptcy? 10 Answers as of November 04, 2016

My girlfriend and I filed for bankruptcy. They asked if we considered our self-common in law. We said yes but we are now going out separate ways.

A common law marriage must be terminated by a divorce or dissolution just like any other marriage.
I do not know which state your are in. California does not recognize common law marriages. You need to seek the advice of local counsel.
Nevada does not recognize common law marriages. If you entered into the common law relationship outside of Nevada in a state which does recognize common law marriages, then you are married and may file bankruptcy together. To dissolve this legal marriage would require a decree of divorce from a court.
In Nevada, you do not because Nevada does not recognize common law marriages.
Eranthe Law Firm
Eranthe Law Firm | Cate Eranthe
There is no such thing as common law marriage in California. If you are not legally married then there can be no divorce. In my opinion, you each need to file a separate bankruptcy case if that is appropriate. Please go see a local knowledgeable bankruptcy attorney before filing anything.
    There is no common law marriage in California. You should have filed separately.
    Goldsmith & Guymon | Marjorie Guymon
    Nevada does not have common law marriages. So if you are filing bankruptcy and Nevada there is no need to get a divorce. When would not be granted to you as you are not married.
    The answer depends on whether the state in which you live recognizes common-law marriages. Wisconsin, for example, has a law which says it does not recognize them. (There are some practical exceptions however.) So if you live in Wisconsin, it's unlikely that you'd need to go to Court to do a divorce. (If you want to be 100% scrupulous, you could file an action 'to affirm marriage,' in which you state that you want the Court to determine that you are not married. If you said at your meeting of creditors that you two were married 'common law,' and that is no longer the case, the You-or, better, your lawyer-should notify the Court of the change in status. It could make some difference in, for example, a Chapter 13 case, and sometimes also in a Chapter 7. But the main thing is to be truthful, and that means correcting mistakes, or notifying the court of significant changes. Find a skilled bankruptcy lawyer: it's almost always worth the investment.
    OlsenDaines | Rex Daines
    The court should have required you to file 2 separate bankruptcies. Maybe the trustee decided it was a meaningless requirement so they let the bankruptcy go through as a joint case. In any event, the answer is NO. You do not need to go through the divorce process.