Do we have to apply with our daughter to get our citizenship? 19 Answers as of December 14, 2011

My husband and I are both US national. We would want to get our US citizenship. We have a daughter who is a US citizen. Do we have to apply together or do we have to do our own? What should we do?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC | Lynne Feldman
If your daughter is over 21 and a U.S. citizen she can normally petition you for permanent residency provided you are either in the U.S. after a legal entry or are overseas and are no inadmissible. I am confused by your U.S. national status.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 12/14/2011
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
I don't understand what you mean by US National if not citizens. Clarify your status so that I can understand your question and reply to it. If you mean that your daughter is a US citizen and you want her to apply for you, then yes you have to each have your own separate petition. There are no derivatives for USC's. Good luck!
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 12/7/2011
Fong & Associates
Fong & Associates | William D. Fong
Your daughter is a US citizen, so she cannot apply for US citizenship.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 12/7/2011
American Immigration Services, PLLC
American Immigration Services, PLLC | Lani M. Nau
If your daughter is already a US citizen, then the application will only be for yourself and your husband.
Answer Applies to: District of Columbia
Replied: 12/6/2011
Wildes & Weinberg, P.C. | Leon Wildes
Your daughter is already a citizen. She need not apply. If you qualify for citizenshiop you and your spouse can apply on your ow.n. If you are not yet a lawfukl permanent resident (green card) you need to apply for that first.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 12/6/2011
    The Law Offices of Kristy Qiu
    The Law Offices of Kristy Qiu | Mengjun Qiu
    I don't understand your question completely. If you're a US national you already have US citizenship. Let's assume that you're not. To get citizenship, you need to become a permanent resident for a certain amount of time first. You can have your daughter petition both you and your husband. But it has to be two separate applications, one for you, one for your husband. Once you become a permanent resident, then you can apply for citizenship after 5 years.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 12/6/2011
    Law Offices of Svetlana Boukhny
    Law Offices of Svetlana Boukhny | Svetlana Boukhny
    I'm not sure what you mean by "US national". Typically, that already implies that you have status in the US. Do you mean you want to apply for permanent residence (green card) or US citizenship? It really depends on what you are referring to in order to determine whether you need your US citizen daughter's involvement or not. Please clarify
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 12/6/2011
    Law Offices of Grinberg and Segal
    Law Offices of Grinberg and Segal | Alexander Segal
    Assuming you are otherwise eligible for permanent residence and your daughter is over 21, your daughter would need to petition for you each to receive an immigrant visa. You each would in turn file applications for adjustment of status. You cannot file on single application together. You must become a lawful permanent resident before you can apply for citizenship.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 12/6/2011
    Immigration Attorneys, LLP | Robert R. Gard
    I'm not sure what you are driving at when you mention that your daughter is a U.S. citizen, but then ask if you need to apply for citizenship with her. I'm also assuming that by "U.S. National", you mean that you and your wife are lawful permanent residents ("LPRs"). In any event, both N-600 citizenship and N-400 Naturalization applications are individual applications, and each person applying must have his or her own application, even though family you would be listing any spouse or children on each application.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois
    Replied: 12/6/2011
    Pacifica Legal Services
    Pacifica Legal Services | Floyd Fernandez
    If you have lived at least 5 years as a U.S. National (from American Samoa, Swain's Island and Other Outlying Islands in the Pacific, not counting Northern Marianas Islands or Guam), then you qualify to apply for U.S. citizenship. Because you are a national, you needed no petitioner, but are otherwise treated as a legal permanent resident. You must apply separately, you and your husband, but should have no trouble. If you desire the help of an attorney, please feel free to call or e-mail me to set up an appointment.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 12/6/2011
    Eric M. Mark, Attorney at Law
    Eric M. Mark, Attorney at Law | Eric Mark
    You need to call a lawyer. Your question does not make sense. If you have a green card and want to naturalize you do not need your daughter, but you must qualify.
    Answer Applies to: New Jersey
    Replied: 12/6/2011
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney