Do we have recource if someone uses us as credit reference and we are being hounded? How? 8 Answers as of September 10, 2015

My soon to be ex daughter-in-law is using me and my address as a credit reference and we are being hounded by collection agencies. My son is still on active duty (Navy) and her actions directly affect him and his security clearance. Do I have any recourse? Thanks.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Candiano Law Office
Candiano Law Office | Charles J. Candiano
If you co-signed a loan or credit card, you are liable. If you did neither, write a cease and desist letter.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 9/10/2015
Law Offices of Ronald A. Steinberg & Associates | Ronald A. Steinberg, BA, MA, JD
Notify the credit bureaus. You are only responsible for things that you sign.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 9/9/2015
Stephens Gourley & Bywater | David A. Stephens
You can sue her.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 9/9/2015
Law Offices of George H. Shers | George H. Shers
No, all she is doing is saying you can provide information as to whether she should be given any credit. Since you do not like her and will say nothing positive, doing so was not wise on her part. The people calling you should be told you are listed as a reference and not a guarantor so their bothering you beyond asking what you think of her as a credit risk is in violation of the fair credit collection laws and you are hanging up and demand they not contact you again. As to your son, he has to tell the people involved as to his security clearance, etc., that they are getting divorced and her behavior should not reflect upon him.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/9/2015
Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
Well of course you can tell the collectors that you never agreed to take any responsibility for your estranged daughter-in-law's debts (if that is the truth). If they continue to hound you, find your state's consumer protection agency, and/or its commissioner of banking. Depending on the state, these agencies promulgate rules which limit the extent to which collectors can trouble you. And in my experience they act vigorously when they receive a presumptively valid complaint. You might have some ground on which to sue them, but you should not have to go to the trouble and expense. You might consult a Consumer Rights lawyer or bankruptcy lawyer in your locality.
Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
Replied: 9/9/2015
    Ty Wilson Law | Ty Wilson
    You should look for a Consumer Protection attorney, they will know how to best help you in your situation. Reach out to one today. Good luck.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia
    Replied: 9/9/2015
    Lawrence Lewis
    Lawrence Lewis | Lawrence Lewis, PC
    With or without your permission. You cannot consent to the problem, and then object to it.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia
    Replied: 9/9/2015
    James E. Hasser, Jr. P.C.
    James E. Hasser, Jr. P.C. | Jim Hasser
    Your son needs to tell his divorce lawyer. Besides that, all you can do is tell and write the creditors and the credit bureau if necessary. Good luck.
    Answer Applies to: Alabama
    Replied: 9/9/2015
Click to View More Answers: