Do we have a good dog bite case? 4 Answers as of June 11, 2013

I do not know what to do about this case. My daughter was playing with our neighbor’s children in their yard, and their 10-year-old lab bit her. They say she stepped on its tail and that is why it bit her. My daughter has played there for years and never had a problem. We had to get stitches and she will have a scar from the bite. The incident happened on 12-12-10.

Diana K. Zilko, Attorney at Law
Diana K. Zilko, Attorney at Law | Diana K. Zilko
Yes. You should consult with a personal injury attorney. If you have any further questions, please give me a call, as this is within my area of practice.
Yes you have the typical dog bite case, contact an attorney to pursue claim.
Naziri Hanassab LLP
Naziri Hanassab LLP | Vahid Naziri
Yes, you definitely have a case.
Tomalas Law Firm
Tomalas Law Firm | Ryan Tomalas
Yes, it sounds as though you (on behalf or your daughter) do have a good case. In California dog owners are held Strictly Liable for the injuries caused by their dogs. Meaning that the owner of the dog is responsible for your injuries no matter what caused the dog to bite. (The fact that your daughter may have stepped on the dog's tail is inconsequential.) Generally, a dog owner's homeowner's insurance policy (assuming they have one) extends to cover these types of situations.

Dog bite cases can be quite complex, especially in light of the emotional/psychological aspect of dog bites and the potential for long term/permanent scaring. (Both of these factors are much more significant in circumstances involving children.) Please keep in mind that the "value" of your daughter's case is not limited to the medical bills which have been incurred, but rather will take into account the numerous ways this incident may impact her life. We have handled hundreds of dog bite cases and are extremely experienced in this area of the law. Please visit the dog bite resource center on our web site for detailed information on your rights and how we can help you/your daughter; or feel free to call our office for a free consultation.