Do we have a case against our neighbor for slandering us? Posted on February 23, 2011

I recently put my home on the market. We fortunately had a potential buyer come through the day we went on the market who absolutely loved our home. The buyer placed a fair offer on the home in the following days. Approx. 5 days after the offer was placed, the buyer asked about our garage flooding every time it rains AND that they had heard that our gunite swimming pool has had the pond (which is located behind our home) flood into our swimming pool. We denied the claims as they were not true. We later found out that the buyer had talked to our neighbor about placing the offer on the home. There was supposedly an incident prior to us taking possession of the property where the neighbor in question was building their home across the street had allowed a piece of wood come across the street to our property which in turn blocked water flow and flooded the garage. However, this was not disclosed to us prior to purchasing the property. This was a fluke accident and we would not likely take action on anyways. Our problem is that this neighbor "who we do not have good relations with" likely claimed false information to this potential buyer. She said that our garage floods EVERY time it rains (which is absolutely false) AND that the pond behind our home has flooded into our swimming pool. The buyer has decided to wait on making any further negotiations on our property. Do we have a case?