Do we file for a divorce where we live now or where we got married? 13 Answers as of September 24, 2013

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
The Law Firm of Jessica M. Cotter, P.L.L.C. | Jessica M. Cotter
Generally speaking the jurisdiction where you would file the dissolution is where you have resided for the required period of time. In Arizona you must reside for at least 90 days prior to filing for the dissolution. Other states have other time periods, so I suggest you consult with an experienced family law attorney to determine you time frame. You certainly file for the dissolution where you reside, not where you were married.
Answer Applies to: Arizona
Replied: 9/24/2013
Law Offices of Frances Headley | Frances Headley
You file for dissolution in the county where you currently reside, provided you have lived in California for six months and the county for 3 months. If you do not meet the residency requirements you can wait or first file for legal separation to be amended to a dissolution petition once residency is established.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/24/2013
Provda Law Firm
Provda Law Firm | Bruce Provda
In most states you need to file where you live now. There is usually a period time you need to have lived in a state to file.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 9/23/2013
Peters Law, PLLC
Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
Where you live.
Answer Applies to: Idaho
Replied: 9/23/2013
Law Office of Annette M. Cox, PLLC
Law Office of Annette M. Cox, PLLC | Annette M. Cox
To file for divorce in Arizona, you have to reside her at least 90 days. It is unclear whether you meet jurisdictional requirements to file elsewhere.
Answer Applies to: Arizona
Replied: 9/23/2013
    Gregory T. Buckley, Attorney at Law
    Gregory T. Buckley, Attorney at Law | Gregory T. Buckley
    The proper venue for a divorce is in the county where you and your spouse last lived together as man and wife.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 9/23/2013
    Diane l. Berger | Diane L. Berger
    Where you currently reside unless you have been there less than the time period that state requires.
    Answer Applies to: Nebraska
    Replied: 9/23/2013
    Kevin H Pate
    Kevin H Pate | Kevin H Pate
    Where you are now, provided you meet minimum residency requirements.
    Answer Applies to: Oklahoma
    Replied: 9/23/2013
    John Russo | John Russo
    If you meet the residency requirements for your jurisdiction you can file their, so check the state statute for residency and divorce, the majority of States it is one year, some are 6 months, just means if you have been living their for at least one year you can file their.
    Answer Applies to: Rhode Island
    Replied: 9/23/2013
    Gateway Legal Group | Christian J. Albut
    You would file were you are located now. Whichever State and County that you live in.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 9/23/2013
    Reade & Associates
    Reade & Associates | R. Christopher Reade
    In Nevada, you must be a resident for 6 weeks preceding the date of filing for divorce and intend to make it your home for the foreseeable future.
    Answer Applies to: Nevada
    Replied: 9/23/2013
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
    The file your divorce and the state and county where you are currently residing provided you have been residing there a long enough so that jurisdiction has attached.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 9/23/2013
    The Davies Law Firm, P.A.
    The Davies Law Firm, P.A. | Robert F. Davies, Esq.
    Before you do anything, please talk to a divorce attorney in your area. This is serious. These legal issues will affect you and your family for many years. You may cause great harm to yourself and your children, and may lose a lot of money, if you do the wrong thing.
    Answer Applies to: New Jersey
    Replied: 9/23/2013
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney