Do the police have to know what the search warrant is for? 8 Answers as of April 18, 2013

They told me they did not know why they were there until the FBI detective got there 45 minutes later and told me.

The FBI is the one who had the warrant and the rest were just helping the agent. The FBI had to know the helpers not necessarily.
William L. Welch, III Attorney | William L. Welch, III
Probable clause does not require the police to know for certain what they will find. Probable clause means reason to believe that evidence of a crime or someone who committed the crime is likely to be found in a particular place. An attorney can assist you with evaluating the prosecution's case, any defenses that you might have, and any plea offer that might be made, so that you can decide whether to plea bargain or go to trial. If you were to be found guilty, then an attorney can assist you with presenting mitigation, allocution, and a recommendation for a more lenient sentence. and a recommendation for a more lenient sentence.
The officer securing the house is different from the officers with the search warrant. The officers with the warrant know that they are looking for because they have to put it on the search warrant.
If they are contacted by a Federal agency and told to respond and wait for the agency to appear, they do not have to necessarily know what the search warrant is for.
Henry Lebensbaum | Henry Lebensbaum
This makes sense to me. You need to speak to an attorney.
    I would need a lot more details, but generally it sounds like the police were there to assist in the execution of an FBI search warrant. And what you have related does not seem to be a violation of your rights.
    Barton Barton & Plotkin | Maurice Ross
    The search warrant should specify the location and scope of the search but it need not say why the search is being conducted.
    Conway Law Pllc.
    Conway Law Pllc. | B. L. Conway
    No but they may have exceeded the scope of the warrant.