Do law firms have to give monthly receipts of payment? 16 Answers as of July 03, 2013

My wife had a accident several years ago with no insurance,state farm hired a law office to represent them,we have been paying this law office for years now,b ut they refuse to give us monthly statements on what we owe or receipts of payments. Is this legal?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Dunnings Law Firm
Dunnings Law Firm | Steven Dunnings
I do not understand. State farm hired this law firm to represent whom. Why are you paying this law firm? Did the firm represent your wife or the other party?
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 7/3/2013
Law Office of Mark J. Leonardo
Law Office of Mark J. Leonardo | Mark Leonardo
Yes they do. Call the State Bar and ask what you can do if the law firm continues to refuse to cooperate.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/19/2011
David F. Stoddard
David F. Stoddard | David F. Stoddard
While I think it is bad practice not to give a statement when requested, I can find no law that requires it, unless it is client's funds held in a trust account
Answer Applies to: South Carolina
Replied: 8/19/2011
LT Pepper Law
LT Pepper Law | Luke T. Pepper
If the law firm is hired by State Farm then State Farm is the client and you are not entitled to look at the bills.
Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
Replied: 8/19/2011
David Hoines Law
David Hoines Law | David Hoines
It's legal, but you should be entitled to bills and a statement of account.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 8/18/2011
    Law Office of Jared Altman
    Law Office of Jared Altman | Jared Altman
    Law firms are required to render itemized statements at intervals of not less than sixty days. Expenses must be stated separately from attorney services. I don't understand why State Farm chose your lawyer if you don't have insurance but, in any event, you should send a letter to the firm, certified mail return receipt if they don't answer your first request, demanding an itemized statement of the services they have rendered and their charges with expenses stated separately. If they persist in refusing to provide this information then I believe that they are acting unethically and you may have to report them to the Disciplinary Committee to force them to give you what you are entitled to anyway.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 8/18/2011
    The Law Office of Josh Lamborn, P.C.
    The Law Office of Josh Lamborn, P.C. | Josh Lamborn
    I am assuming that your wife was negligent in the accident and State Farm covered their insured's damages and sought to recoup what they paid from your wife. State Farm should give you an accounting of what has been paid and what is still owed and whether they are charging interest. If they refuse to do so you should report them to the state insurance commission and refuse to make any more payments. Additionally, if the accident happened "several years ago" it is likely beyond the statute of limitations and State Farm may be unable to sue your wife at this point to collect the rest of what is allegedly owed. Your wife should consult with a lawyer to determine whether it is in her best interest to continue making payments on this debt that State Farm unilaterally imposed on your wife. In my experience, insurance companies threaten to sue you when you don't have insurance and are responsible for the accident, but seldom follow through if you call their bluff. On small accidents it is not worth their time to sue, especially if the defendant does not have significant assets to pay a judgment.
    Answer Applies to: Oregon
    Replied: 8/18/2011
    Coulter's Law
    Coulter's Law | Coulter K. Richardson
    Yes, they are obliged to tell you what you owe, if any, and the balance remaining.
    Answer Applies to: New Jersey
    Replied: 8/18/2011
    Bulman Law Associates PLLC Injury Law Firm
    Bulman Law Associates PLLC Injury Law Firm | Thomas Bulman
    You should have your own proof of payment with cancelled checks.
    Answer Applies to: Montana
    Replied: 8/18/2011
    Cody and Gonillo, LLP
    Cody and Gonillo, LLP | Christine Gonilla
    you can file an action for an accounting
    Answer Applies to: Connecticut
    Replied: 8/18/2011
    Ewusiak & Roberts, P.A.
    Ewusiak & Roberts, P.A. | Christopher J. Roberts
    If a law firm is collecting money from you for a debt owed to State Farm, then yes you are entitled to know what you owe and why. As far as receipts go, you are entitled to have some record of what you've paid. Assuming you are paying by check, you should be able to establish past payments based upon honored checks. If you are paying by cash, then you should demand a receipt.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 2/20/2012
    Lyle B. Masnikoff and Associates
    Lyle B. Masnikoff and Associates | Lyle B. Masnikoff
    Yes if u ask for it.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 6/9/2013
    Bernard Huff, Attorney/Mediator
    Bernard Huff, Attorney/Mediator | Bernard Huff
    First, you should request frequent periodic statements in writing from your attorney or law firm. If no response, contact the local bar association for a response.
    Answer Applies to: Indiana
    Replied: 8/18/2011
    Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A.
    Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A. | Paul L. Whitfield
    Don't understand your question. If your wife had no insurance, what has State Farm got to do with this? If you hired a law firm they should bill you periodically and give you the accounting you ask. Write them and tell them unless they give you this accounting you will pay nothing further. Then if they don't cooperate report them to the State Bar office in Raleigh
    Answer Applies to: North Carolina
    Replied: 8/18/2011
    Rothstein Law PLLC
    Rothstein Law PLLC | Eric Rothstein
    I'm confused. Is State Farm your carrier? If so, why is it defending you if you didn't have insurance? If a carrier assigns a law firm to defend someone under an insurance policy, the person does not have to pay anything to the law firm .
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 8/18/2011
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney