Do I stop paying child support after I lost my job? How? 16 Answers as of June 01, 2015

Do I stop paying child support after I lost my job?

Stuart Jon Bierman  Attorney at Law
Stuart Jon Bierman Attorney at Law | Stuart Jon Bierman
Usually, in a situation where there is a court Order that requires you to pay child support then losing your job by itself does not automatically create a reason to stop paying child support _but_ what you should do is file a motion to ask the Court for permission to stop paying (or as an alternative, lower your payments). Please be careful because, in general, if you stop paying without getting permission from the Court then you run the risk of being held in contempt of court.
Law Offices of Helene Ellenbogen, P.S.H | Helene Ellenbogen
No. Anything you do not pay during this period becomes an arrearage. If you want to modify the order you have to file a modification.
You must move the court for any change in your child support obligation. You may be relieved of the obligation to pay for the time being, but in all likelihood the arrears will accrue. Consult the lawyer who represented you in this matter before. If you did not have one before, retain one now. In any event, do not disobey a court order to pay support: either make the payment, or get into court and explain why you cannot, and get permission for any modification. Good Luck.
The Bryan Law Firm, L.L.C.
The Bryan Law Firm, L.L.C. | Douglas L. Bryan
For the court to reduce your child support after you've lost your job, you'll need to file a motion to modify the support with the court. It doesn't automatically get suspended or reduced.
Edwin Fahlen Attorney at Law
Edwin Fahlen Attorney at Law | Edwin Fahlen
The only way to stop child support from being owed is to immediately file an application with the court to modify child support. Just because you lose your job does not mean child support obligation stops. An order for child support can only be reduced back to the date the application is filed with the court AND SERVED on the payor spouse. The longer you wait to file the application the longer child support is owed.
    The Gufford Law Firm, P.A.
    The Gufford Law Firm, P.A. | Joseph Gufford
    I would recommend the filing a Motion to Abate Child Support. If the situation last more than 6 months, then a Supplemental Petition for Modification would be in order.
    Law Offices of Robert Burns
    Law Offices of Robert Burns | Robert Burns
    Seek agreement in writing from the other parent for an order to reduce/suspend support. File a Request for Order to reduce/suspend support if necessary.
    Diane l. Berger | Diane L. Berger
    You can't just stop. You need to go to court and get an order reducing your obligation.
    No, there is still an on going order running , you file a motion to modify based on a substantial change in circumstances, you get a court date and then you explain the situation if you are receiving unemployment that will be garnished.
    Go to the friend of the court and seek a temporary reduction until you get another job or are called back.
    You must immediately file and serve a request for order to downward modify your support until you become reemployed. Please meet with an experienced family law attorney to explore your legal options.
    Law Office of Martin A. Kahan | Martin A. Kahan
    Assuming you have a court order, you need to file a request for order re modification immediately if your circumstances have changed.
    Joanna Mitchell & Associates, P.A.
    Joanna Mitchell & Associates, P.A. | Joanna Mitchell
    No, your child support obligation continues even if you are unemployed. If you do not want to get into serious trouble, you need to pay as much as you can, even if it's not everything, until you are employed again and can then get caught up. Hopefully, your unemployment is only temporary.
    Petit & Dommershausen SC
    Petit & Dommershausen SC | Tajara Dommershausen
    You need to file a motion to modify your obligation otherwise you will just accumulated arrears.
    Law Offices of Stephanie Lee Ehrbright, Esq.
    Law Offices of Stephanie Lee Ehrbright, Esq. | Stephanie Lee Ehrbright
    You need to file for an adjustment based on the fact that you are no longer working. It will not be retroactive so you need to file that as soon as possible because it will only be changed from the date you file forward. In Maricopa county there is a simplified process that is faster to adjust just child support without changing custody or any of the other issues.
    Provda Law Firm
    Provda Law Firm | Bruce Provda
    You would have to a petition for a reduction due to change in circumstances.