Do I still have to pay child support if my daughter is 21, makes more money than me? 10 Answers as of February 26, 2013

My daughter is graduating this year. Her mom owns a hair salon, works for a courier company and owns a home although she uses her mom’s address. My daughter, for the past four years works two jobs and tuition is free. I have been disabled due to a back injury. I returned to work, any kind of work from construction to shuttle driving to avoid jail. I bought my daughter a BMW $12,000 so she could commute from school to work still I owe $9,500 in arrears $5,000 in interest and close to $4,000 in penalties. What are my rights and can I get it looked into by the judge? Mediation always stops me from seeing the judge.

Hamblin Law Office | Sally Hamblin
Back child support is to be paid. The order of support must be paid. If meditation stops you when you file a motion, then that is the procedure. Retain an attorney.
WARM SPRINGS LAW GROUP | Elliott D. Yug
You still owe on the interest, arrears and penalties to the mother.
Unless there is some unusual information that you haven't provided, child support terminates no later than age 21 in all 50 states, so you need to carefully examine the support order that initially required you to pay support.

You may need to have a court order to confirm the termination, depending your state law and the terms of the initial support order so you should contact an attorney in person where you live to find out if you need to do anything other than to stop paying.
Reger Rizzo & Darnall LLP | Kathleen DeLacy
You need to petition the court to stop child support. It does not stop automatically.
Answer Applies to: Delaware
David A. Browde, P.C.
David A. Browde, P.C. | David Browde
If she's 21 she has aged out of the child support system.
    Carey and Leisure | John Smitten
    This is a FL question. In FL support stops at 18.
    Exactly how to cut off child support? This depends on the law of the State you live in. If you are in New Jersey, call me. I will assist you. No charge for the first office visit.
    The Law Offices of Tres A. Porter | Tres A. Porter
    You should consult with a family law attorney in your area as soon as possible.
    What you should have done is take the money you spent on the BMW and paid off your back child support.

Yes, you owe the back child support. You may have had a basis for challenging how much you should have paid a while ago, but your ex- incurred expenses to raise your daughter and you did not help because you did not pay what was ordered.

I suppose you can ask the court to amend the order but I don't hold out a lot of hope for you.
    LAW OFFICE OF ANNE B. HOWARD | Anne B. Howard
    In CA child support ends at 18 and graduated high school or age 19. If you are not in CA check with a local attorney.

However, arrears do not go away and bear interest at 10 percent. You can't get rid of the arrears or interest so try to work out a repayment plan you can afford.