Do I still have to pay child support if my child is 18? 37 Answers as of August 24, 2011

I pay child support to my ex for my daughter who is 18 and out of school and pregnant. She has medicaid and other things through the state. Do I still have to pay child support? Thanks in advance.

Beresford Booth PLLC
Beresford Booth PLLC | S. Scott Burkhalter
You will need to pay child support in accordance with the order of child support. Most support obligations end when the child is 18 or graduates from high school, whichever is last.
Law Office of Robert L. Fiedler
Law Office of Robert L. Fiedler | Robert L Fiedler
The law is that you pay until she is 18 or graduates from high school, whichever comes later, but no longer than her 19th birthday. If she is out of school, the reason may determine whether you still pay or not.
Owings Law Firm
Owings Law Firm | Tammy B. Gattis
Until he/she graduates from high school or turns 18 whichever comes later.
Answer Applies to: Arkansas
Read the support provision of your Divorce Judgment. The newer language required in the support provision requires payment of child support until the child reaches 18 or no later than 19 1/2 if the child is regularly attending high school on a full-time basis with a reasonable expectation of completing sufficient credit to graduate from high school, whichever is later.
Child support in Colorado continues until a child is 19 unless sooner emanciated. You don't provide any information that would suggest she is emancipated, so your obligation continues.
    Look at your decree or support orders. The answer is there. Without seeing the orders, I can tell you based on "Standard" orders your duty to support stops when she turns 18 "unless she is still enrolled and making progress towards a high school diploma" in which case it continues past the 18th birthday until the child is no longer enrolled in high school or making progress towards a high school diploma. You have to read your orders to make sure they are standard or do not contain some unique provision. On a collateral note, giving birth (not merely being pregnant) is an emancipating event. If she marries the father that too is an emancipating event. Your orders most likely state child support terminates if the child is otherwise emancipated (again this is standard but when people divorce nothing is really standard - so ready our decree).
    Horizons Law Group, LLC
    Horizons Law Group, LLC | Michelle B. Fitzgerald
    It ends at age 18 or after they have high school diploma - which can go to age 19, so long as they are pursuing a diploma. The support order can continue at same rate though if they are collecting any support you may owe from the past. If you are current, and this your last child, you can contact the support office to end it. If there are other younger children, it will continue until you both recalculate what support would be now for the remaining children. If you can't agree on new amount, you would need to bring a motion.
    Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation
    Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation | Paul Wallin
    Not unless you agreed to a written marital settlement agreement. You are only obligated to pay child support until the child reaches 18 absent an agreement in writing to the contrary.
    Lori C. Obenauf LLC
    Lori C. Obenauf LLC | Lori C. Obenauf
    Generally, no, but I would ask you to refer to your divorce decree and determine what it states regarding your child support obligation.
    Willick Law Group
    Willick Law Group | Marshal S. Willick
    Presuming it was a Nevada order (it is different from State to State), child support runs through the later of 18, or 19 if still enrolled in high school.
    Law Office of Roianne H. Conner
    Law Office of Roianne H. Conner | Roianne Houlton Conner
    If she is not 19, you really need to have your child support obligation terminated in the Court that ordered it.
    Law Office of Patricia Van Haren
    Law Office of Patricia Van Haren | Patricia Van Haren
    If your daughter has graduated high school or the equivalent, you do not need to pay child support. You will need to file a motion to terminate the support based on her age and the fact that she is no longer in High School.
    Law Office of James Lentz
    Law Office of James Lentz | James Lentz
    You need an order of the court telling CSEA to stop taking child support and you need someone to file it with CSEA. Please discuss this with a local domestic relations attorney.
    It depends on the language of your support court order. Support ends when it says it ends. That may or may not be at age 18.
    Michael Rose Attorney at Law
    Michael Rose Attorney at Law | Michael Rose
    18 and in school until the child graduates and then you can request the support stop. It does not stop automatically.
    The Law Offices of Robert W. Bellamy
    The Law Offices of Robert W. Bellamy | Robert W. Bellamy
    File for termination.
    Joanna Mitchell & Associates, P.A.
    Joanna Mitchell & Associates, P.A. | Joanna Mitchell
    No, you are not legally required to; however, that does not mean that the State will automatically stop garnishing. You should immediately file a petition for modification of your child support in order to terminate your obligation. Any order will retroact back to the date the supplemental petition was filed. If you delay and end up overpaying, you will not be able to recoup those over payments.
    We recommend you check the terms of your divorce decree/settlement agreement, and consult with your divorce lawyer. Good luck.
    In Washington your child support ends when your child support order says it terminates.Look at your child support order.
    Law Office Of Jody A. Miller
    Law Office Of Jody A. Miller | Jody A. Miller
    It depends on how your divorce decree is written. However, in general, under Georgia law, if the child is over the age of 18 years and is not attending high school, your child support obligation should be terminated. It would be best to consult in person with a family lawyer in order to discuss your situation in detail and let the lawyer as any questions they need answered in order to best advise you.
    Michael D. Fluke, P.A.
    Michael D. Fluke, P.A. | Michael D. Fluke
    Go back to the original support order and look at the terms. If your child is not in school and 18, odds are you are done.
    Law Office of Michael W. Bugni
    Law Office of Michael W. Bugni | Jay W. Neff
    Most child support orders have in them a clause that tells you when child support ends. Without having seen exactly what your child support order says, it is impossible for me to say whether your obligation to pay child support has ended. However, most child support orders will say something like: Child support continues until the child turns age 18 or graduates from high school, whichever comes later, unless the court orders post-secondary child support. So, if your child support order says this and (1) if the child is over age 18 and (2) if the child is out of high school and (3) if no post-secondary child support has been ordered, then, your obligation to pay current child support has ended. This does not affect any child support arrearages that may exist. Even though current support may have ended, if you owe back support, that obligation is still there and needs to be paid.
    The Coyle Law Office
    The Coyle Law Office | T. Andrew Coyle
    Generally, child support stops when the child reaches 18. If your child support is based on a court order, that should state when your obligations end. If you have been paying support outside of a court order, then you are no longer required to provide support after the child reaches 18. .
    ROWE LAW FIRM
    ROWE LAW FIRM | Jeffrey S. Wittenbrink
    In Louisiana, child support terminates automatically once a child turns 18, as long as they have either graduated from high school or they are no longer attending. If they are attending an accredited Louisiana high school but have not graduated yet, child support continues until age 19. As long as there are no arrears, and no other children on the same support order, you may unilaterally discontinue (without further permission) your child support payments.
    Wolverine Law | Stuart Collis
    You are required to pay child support until your child is 18 or graduates high school, whichever is later. However, it will cut off if your child has not graduated high school by 19.5. That being said, you are always liable for any arrearages and any money paid out by the state.
    First: I am sorry to hear that your daughter has created this situation for herself; it will be difficult for her and her child. To answer your question, you need to go to court to get child support terminated. I can help you with this. And I will tell you up front what it will cost to do this for you. Give me a call, make an appointment to come see me, and let's get moving on this for you. No charge for the telephone call and no charge for the first office visit.
    Noel & Noel, PLLC | Lacey Noel
    Dear All, It would really depends on what the past Order of child support states. If it continues beyond age 18, then it could be. However this has to be determined/brought before the Court before the age of 18.
    Petit & Dommershausen SC
    Petit & Dommershausen SC | Tajara Dommershausen
    No. contact the child support agency to terminate your obligation
    normally child support ends upon age 18 unless the child is a full time high school student residing with a parent then it goes to age 19 or high school graduation. If the child is disabled it can go to age 21
    Fox Law Firm LLC
    Fox Law Firm LLC | Tina Fox
    Unless you have arrearages, no you do not have to keep paying. Your child support should terminate. However, if it does not do you, you can petition the court to terminate it b/c of your reasons - your child being emanicapted, and the court will enter an order terminating child support.
    If she is still living at home, probably. The age of majority is 19 in Alabama. You could petition to terminate alleging that she is emancipated and adult as a factual matter. However, if she is not living with the baby's daddy, or is otherwise still living with her mom, then you probably have to pay until she turns 19. Stay well.
    Donaldson Stewart, PC
    Donaldson Stewart, PC | Monica H. Donaldson Stewart
    Generally speaking, child support terminates when a child turns 18 or graduates high school, whichever comes later. If she has reached age 18 and is not attending high school, then you should take steps to ensure that your obligation (and any wage withholding) are terminated.
12 3 4 5 6 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney