Do I still have to contact my ex wife because of immigration issues? 6 Answers as of April 20, 2015

I got married in 2006 and had that marriage dissolved in 2008. I am a US citizen and I petitioned for her to get her green card which she received. Now she is trying to contact me alleging that I HAVE to help her with her immigration proceedings. I think she is trying to change her status from conditional permanent resident to permanent resident, but I’m not entirely sure because I don’t want to speak with her. Do I legally have to help her or communicate with her?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
No you do not. She cannot force you to help her and if you do not, then she will lose her conditional residency since she is no longer married to you.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/16/2015
Law Offices of N.J. SAEH PC | Noel J. Saleh
You have no legal obligation to speak with her. USCIS may try to contact you about the marriage. But ask yourself why are you unwilling to talk with her? It doesn't help carrying around bitter feelings.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 4/15/2015
Frazier, Soloway & Poorak, P.C.
Frazier, Soloway & Poorak, P.C. | David Nabow Soloway
A U.S. Citizen who successfully petitioned for a spouse to adjust status, and who later became divorced, has no legal obligation whatsoever to communicate with his former spouse or otherwise assist regarding the former spouse's next immigration-related steps. Keep in mind, however, that the former spouse may simply seek copies of residential leases, utility bills and other documents that would show that the marriage was valid when entered, notwithstanding that the marriage ended in divorce - those documents could be used by the former spouse in seeking a waiver of the usual requirement that the couple jointly apply to remove conditions on the so-called "two-year Green Card."
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 4/15/2015
Universal Law Group, Inc. | Francis John Cowhig
If you are divorced, you no longer have to deal or talk with your ex-wife.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/15/2015
Alena Shautsova
Alena Shautsova | Alena Shautsova
You are not obligated. She can remove the condition without you if you guys are divorced.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 4/15/2015
Click to View More Answers: