Do I still have to be a full time student if I am getting married and going to apply for a green card soon? 4 Answers as of April 04, 2014

I am finishing my community college in June and transferring to university in the fall. But I am getting married and will start my application as soon as possible which means by the time I enroll in university, my status will be pending. Does that mean I still have to be a full time student? If I am not, can that be the reason my interview is denied and can I pay in state tuition? I have been leaving in California for the last 5 years. Thank you so much!

Richard S. Kolomejec, Attorney at Law
Richard S. Kolomejec, Attorney at Law | Richard S. Kolomejec
You should be fine regardless of your student status issue when you are applying for a green card through a marriage to a US citizen. Just make sure not to travel outside the US until after you have either a travel permit or green card.
You will have to continue to go to school or you will have to return to your home country while petition is being processed.
Coane and Associates
Coane and Associates | Bruce Coane
That's a common question actually. Since 9/11, the government is following students much more closely, and when a student fails to enroll, they sometimes pay a visit to the student, and in some cases, they arrest the student for being out of status. It's always good to remain in legal status, as a general rule.
Alena Shautsova
Alena Shautsova | Alena Shautsova
If you are marrying a US citizen, you do not have to.