Do I qualify to file if I owe $5000 in rent, $2800 in car payments, $2000 in hospital, $1800 for cell phone, $600 in electric and $500 gas bills? 10 Answers as of August 09, 2017

Electricity is due to be cut off and I'm sure there's more but can't figure it out now. I also owe back child support.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Ronald K. Nims LLC | Ronald K. Nims
Usually, I do not recommend bankruptcy for someone who doesn't have more debt than this.
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 8/9/2017
Stephens Gourley & Bywater | David A. Stephens
Yes you qualify, although you cannot discharge past due child support payments in a chapter 7 bankruptcy.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 8/8/2017
Danville Law Group | Scott Jordan
Whether you qualify for bankruptcy does not depend on your debts. The test is income versus expenses. Everyone can file for bankruptcy protection. Whether the bankruptcy is a Chapter 7 or a Chapter 13 is determined by income.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/8/2017
A Fresh Start
A Fresh Start | Dorothy G Bunce
I wouldn't recommend bankruptcy for this amount of debt, but others may say differently depending on your income level.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 8/8/2017
Law Office of Kimberly Fives | Kimberly Fives
You really should consult with a bankruptcy atty. you don't list your present income. You have to meet a means test to even qualify for a chapter 7 liquidation. You may need to file a chapter 13 debt consolidation. Anything you have that is a secured debt, such as rent, car, high value assets can be repossessed. It's important you seek legal help ASAP.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/8/2017
    GARCIA & GONZALES, P.C. | Richard N. Gonzales
    Most your debts are dischargeable. Child support is not. There are other issues, but I would recommend you meet with an atty.
    Answer Applies to: Colorado
    Replied: 8/8/2017
    Novakov & Associates, PLLC
    Novakov & Associates, PLLC | LINDA S. NOVAKOV
    Your ability to file is determined on your income as it relates to the median income in your area; not by the amount of debt you have. If you have income with which to pay your bills, you may only qualify to file for Chapter 13 which is a wage-earner's petition. In this plan, unsecured creditors are paid back a percentage of what they are owed. Chapter 7, if you qualify, will clear most of your debt. Keep in mind child support is not a debt that is dischargeable.
    Answer Applies to: Kentucky
    Replied: 8/8/2017
    Janet A. Lawson Bankruptcy Attorney
    Janet A. Lawson Bankruptcy Attorney | Janet Lawson
    Your debts are not the issue. "qualification" depends on income, not debts. You may need a chapter 13 to catch up on the car or it will be repossessed. You should consult with local counsel.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 8/8/2017
    Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
    There is no bar you have mentioned which would be an obstacle to your filing bankruptcy. You should be aware that some debts are excluded from the bankruptcy discharge. This is true of student loans (unless you are pretty much disabled). As to the car, there are several ways in which it can be dealt with, depending on your goals. I suggest you located a skilled bankruptcy lawyer in your locality for advice and representation. It's almost always worth the investment.
    Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
    Replied: 8/8/2017
    Law Office of Stuart M. Nachbar, P.C.
    Law Office of Stuart M. Nachbar, P.C. | Stuart M. Nachbar
    Yes, you would qualify, but understand the following: 1. Child Support is not Dischargeable; 2. Landlord can still petition the Court to have you removed unless you are in a Chapter 13 and paying the back the missed rent and staying current; 3. Car company can still request the car be returned or repossess unless in a Chapter 13 and repaying the back charges and staying current and insured; 4. Electric Company and Gas Company may shut off service, unless you file, but then they may request a deposit going forward. All of the above is legal even in bankruptcy. Talk to a professional and make sure you choose the right filing (Chapter 7 or 13) and the consequences of same.
    Answer Applies to: New Jersey
    Replied: 8/8/2017
Click to View More Answers: