Do I qualify for a green card? 7 Answers as of March 28, 2012

I'm a f1 student and I had a j1 visa for 2 years already. I have been paying taxes for four years by now. Do I qualify for a green card? Or when can I qualify for one?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Kuck Immigration Partners LLC
Kuck Immigration Partners LLC | Charles Kuck
No, not just because you are an F-1 . I would need to review your DS 2019 and discuss your options.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 3/28/2012
Law Offices of Svetlana Boukhny
Law Offices of Svetlana Boukhny | Svetlana Boukhny
You can only qualify for a green card on the basis of an approved immigrant visa petition filed by either a US employer on the basis of a valid fulltime, permanent job offer or a qualifying relative, such as a US parent, child, sibling, spouse.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/28/2012
Law Offices of Grinberg and Segal
Law Offices of Grinberg and Segal | Alexander Segal
You cannot qualify for a green card solely, because you have resided here a certain number of years and pay taxes. You need to have an immigrant visa petition filed on your behalf.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 3/28/2012
Law Office of Christine Troy
Law Office of Christine Troy | Christine Troy
At this time you don't qualify. No one automatically qualifies, instead you need an employer or family sponsor or to qualify under one of the other options.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/28/2012
Law Offices of David Stoller, PA | David H. Stoller
The answer to your question is that it does not appear that you would qualify for a green card in the US based on what your presented in your question. Generally, residency in the US is obtained through either a member of your family filing a request on your behalf or by way of an employer looking to hire you and offer a job. Either way, the waiting period to be approved can be lengthy and the process protracted. My advice is that you contact an attorney and consult with him/her on your questions. Keep in mind that the visas that have been issued to you are non-immigrant visas, meaning these visas permit you to remain here in the US for a specific purpose and for a specific period of time after which you are required to depart unless there is some other benefit under the law available to you. I completely understand that you would like to stay and the job of a qualified and knowledgeable attorney is to find a way to make that happen.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 3/28/2012
    Frazier, Soloway & Poorak, P.C.
    Frazier, Soloway & Poorak, P.C. | David Nabow Soloway
    Having a nonimmigrant visa, such as a J-1 or F-1 visa, and paying taxes for four years, does not establish eligibility for becoming a Lawful Permanent Resident (getting a "Green Card"). Generally, eligibility falls into family-based applications (such as applications based upon marriage or another family relationship) and employment-based applications. Eligibility for employment-based applications generally focuses upon many requirements for the employer, the employee and the job itself. Self-petitioning may be possible for certain persons having "exceptional" or "extraordinary" skills in the sciences (those are two separate visa categories), certain persons making substantial financial investments in the U.S., etc. Aside from other eligibility issues, a person who has had a J-1 visa will need to document satisfaction, inapplicability or waiver of a 2-year home residence requirement. If you believe you may be eligible for immigration benefits, there is no substitute for a careful analysis by an immigration attorney.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia
    Replied: 3/28/2012
Click to View More Answers: