Do I pay income taxes on money inherited from my mother? 10 Answers as of May 30, 2013

Do I pay income taxes on money inherited from my mother?

Bullivant Houser Bailey PC
Bullivant Houser Bailey PC | Darin Christensen
Only if it is income in respect of a decedent. This is certain payments that would have been income to your mother if she had received it. Examples include, interest accrued before her death, payments from retirement plans, and gain on sale contracts signed when she was alive.
DEAN T. JENNINGS, P.C.
DEAN T. JENNINGS, P.C. | Dean T Jennings
No.
Answer Applies to: Iowa
Steven J. Fromm
Steven J. Fromm | Steven J. Fromm & Associates, P.C.
Money inherited is not taxable income under Section 102 of the Internal Revenue Code. But if the inheritance has an income component such as an IRA or a retirement plan or an annuity then there will be taxable income.
Vandervoort, Christ & Fisher, P.C. | James E. Reed
No.
No, because it is not income. It is an inheritance. The is no tax to the beneficiary of an inheritance.
    Elder Law Office of Mark Schaefer PC | Mark Schaefer
    You only have to pay income taxes on money you inherit that would have been taxable to her if she received them. Examples would be a final paycheck or a distribution from a traditional IRA or a 401K/403b/SEP. Most distributions from estates are not subject to income tax.
    Della Rocca Law, LLC | Brian R. Della Rocca
    In general, the receipt of an inheritance is not subject to income tax. However, if there was a delay in your receipt of the inheritance and, during that delay, the inheritance itself earned income, then you may have to pay income tax on the income earned by the inheritance.
    Montgomery & Wetenkamp
    Montgomery & Wetenkamp | John Wetenkamp
    You generally do not have to pay taxes on money received by way of inheritance. However, there are some important exceptions, so you should consult with a tax attorney or CPA just to be sure.
    Usually not, unless the source of the funds inherited was tax-deferred such as an IRA in which case there may well be a tax effect either before or after the distribution depending on options taken. You should see an attorney or accountant who is familiar with these issues.
    The DeRose Lawfirm | Peter J. DeRose
    Short answer-probably not. It depends on what you mean by "money." It also depends upon how the "money" or property was transferred to you. More information is needed to accurately answer your question. There is a potential for estate or gift tax, depending upon the amount of the estate.