Do I owe a real estate broker a commission if I buy a property after an offer has been rejected? Posted on March 25, 2011

I made a written offer on a house in Hawaii through a broker (not the listing agent) and the offer was rejected. Subsequently, the listing agent lost the listing and the owner now lists the property with no listing agent. I have not signed an exclusive agreement with the broker whom I paced the offer through. My question is how long must I wait to make an offer directly with the owner and have no liability to the broker or the listing agent; and would the seller have any similar liability to either the broker or her listing agent, notwithstanding her written agreement with the listing agent, which may have a provision to pay commission if a prior prospective buyer makes a new offer within X # days after termination of listing, etc.?