Do I owe my landlord rent for this? 2 Answers as of June 07, 2011

My question is in regards to contract law, specifically a lease. When I told my landlord that I was not going to renew they asked if I would be willing to move out early if they found a tenant and since I was trying to move closer to my new job, I agreed. They sent me an agreement that said simply this: I agreed to move out within 45 days of being notified by them that they had a signed lease and in return for this they would credit me half a months rent in return for moving early. A large business was opening in the area and they wanted to be able to benefit from the influx of people that were moving into town for that large company. On April 29th, they told me they had a signed lease and so I then signed a lease starting in June, making May my last month in their house. They then sent a letter stipulating July 17th as my move out date and a spot on the floor and a smell in a closet that had them concerned. I told them that May would, in fact, be my last month and that the spot and odor had been rectified. They now say I owe them for June and July and threatened to put it on my credit report and take me to court. They have called repeatedly with threats and have now started calling my work. Before this I was never late with rent and even helped with repairs around for them so until now we had a very good relationship. Should I get a lawyer or restraining order? Do I owe them for June and July?

Frances R. Johnson
Frances R. Johnson | Frances R. Johnson
Whether or not you owe them depends upon the wording of the additional agreement about what type of notice they would give you. You did not say if the notice about the new tenant indicated when that tenant would actually move in. I do suggest consulting an attorney who can tell you your options about both the restraining order and whether or not you owe for June and July. The attorney will need to see the original lease and all additional agreements. Good luck.