Do I need to turn myself in for a first failure to appear? 9 Answers as of December 17, 2013

I was out on bond and accidentally missed my court date that was for violation of probation a year ago, the bondsman says I need to turn myself in to her at the police station. I don't know if I should trust her or not. It was a misdemeanor and I live out of state. This is the first time I have ever been in trouble and it was a total misunderstanding. I am a widow with 2 kids. I don't want to get blindsided.

Tricia Dwyer, Esq. & Associates PLLC
Tricia Dwyer, Esq. & Associates PLLC | Tricia Dwyer, Esq.
You should confer privately with an attorney licensed in the involved state.
You should hire a lawyer to go to court to recall the warrant. A lawyer can do this without you present, so it is less risky for you.
Accidentally or not, you will be going to jail on the bench warrant. When you get to the jail, the bondsman will be coming off of your bond.
If you don't then will arrest you on the warrant for the failure to appear.
I would get a lawyer and turn yourself in at the court.
    Hammerschmidt Broughton Law
    Hammerschmidt Broughton Law | Mark A. Broughton
    You should hire an attorney in the jurisdiction that issued the warrant. Many times, the attorney can appear for you and get the warrant recalled, and deal with the case without you having to be present. In other jurisdictions, you may have to appear initially to have the warrant recalled, but you stand a much better chance of not being taken into custody with an attorney than without one.
    Law Office of Edward J. Blum
    Law Office of Edward J. Blum | Edward J. Blum
    You can hire a lawyer to handle it for you through the courts.
    Obviously it can't be the first time you've been in trouble or else you wouldn't have a court case to be out on bond. In any event, you need to turn yourself in because it only gets worse the longer you wait. Contact a criminal defense attorney in your area who may be able to arrange a time for you to turn yourself in. Most courts have certain days and times they do walk-in arraignments.
    Law Office of James E. Smith
    Law Office of James E. Smith | James Smith
    Just hire a local attorney to quash the warrant. Otherwise your bondswoman is right.