Do I need to register my company in every state I do business in? Posted on June 13, 2011

I have a company that is registered in DC as an LLC. I put out a newsletter and hold events in various cities across the country. I make money by selling advertising, tickets to events and sponsorships. I only have offices in NYC and Chicago, but I also have a couple W-2 employees working out of their homes in other cities like Atlanta and Houston. I already pay taxes to the various states, but do I have to register as foreign LLC or anything at all in these or some states? Also I am I currently protected from direct lawsuits in all these areas because I am registered as an LLC in DC or am I currently directly susceptible to lawsuits since I am not registered as a foreign LLC in these other areas? Thank You.