Do I need to put the non-renewal of lease in writing or can I verbally tell them? 7 Answers as of November 19, 2013

I am renting a room month to month. I do not want to renew the lease after November. If it needs to be in writing what is the best wording for this?

Batten & Beasley
Batten & Beasley | Andrew Larson-Wille
Give the landlord written notice of intent to vacate the premises.
Stuart P Gelberg
Stuart P Gelberg | Stuart P Gelberg
You need to give 30 days notice in writing. If you give notice now and your rent is due in the 1st, you are liable for all of December. Say this is my 30 days notice of my intent to cancel my month to month lease.
Law Offices of Frances Headley | Frances Headley
It is always preferable for transactions related to real property to be in writing.
WEISSMAN LAW FIRM
WEISSMAN LAW FIRM | I.Donald Weissman
Put it in writing. Read the lease. See what the requirements are and follow them.
"I will not be renting the room after November 30. Sincerely." You should have given the notice before November 1, so there is a possibility that you could owe for December, but it may not be worth it to them to worry about it.
    Simply state, best in writing, that you are not interested in continuing your tenancy following the expiration of the current period, which ends November 30, 2013 and will be vacating on our before that date.
    Harper Law Offices, Inc. P.S.
    Harper Law Offices, Inc. P.S. | Joseph T. G. Harper
    You don't have to give notice. If the lease expires, that is all the notice you need. Just be sure to be out by the last allowed day. As a matter of courtesy, you may want to provide a written statement saying very simply that you do not intent to renew the lease and plan to be out accordingly. That should do it.