Do I need to pay my fine for a $500 fine for petty theft? 2 Answers as of May 04, 2017

I got fined on January 30, 2017 for $500. This is my first offense. A lot of my friends or friends of friends got caught shoplifting and got fined $400-$600 but never paid the fine and never got arrested even after their court date.

Depending on the nature of the fine, one of 2 things will happen: (1) a bench warrant will be issued for your arrest, or (2) the fine will be sent to collections and the county will try to collect it with interest.
Instead of worrying about the fine, you need to focus your attention on how you can avoid being convicted. Petty theft is a crime of moral turpitude, and if convicted it will really hurt your school/employment aspirations. You should talk to a lawyer, who may be able to work out a deal with the Judge whereby you can earn yourself a dismissal.