Do I need to pay alimony to a partner that I have been with for 15 years? 2 Answers as of October 04, 2017

My partner and I have been together for 15 years and we have issues and want to separate. We have 2 kids. I bought a house and it's under my name, I'm the one paying mortgage, paying for the kid’s stuff that they need, and food. All he pays is the bills. He claims if we separate that I need to sell the house and give him half, is that true? We are not legally married and have nothing together (bank accounts or other assets). He work full time and is healthy. I make more money than him and I'm the main provider of the house. How can I separate with him not selling my house or giving alimony?

Edwin Fahlen Attorney at Law
Edwin Fahlen Attorney at Law | Edwin Fahlen
Just because you live with someone 15 years and are NOT married, and share children do not mean you share assets. This is a contract matter. Whether there is a contract (agreement) is subject to proof. The fact that the family home is in your name only tends to evidence that residence remains yours and yours alone. Each case stands an on its own particular facts. Competent legal representation is required for a case of this type.
Peyton and Associates | Barbara Peyton
If you were never married, no alimony.