Do I need to leave the US to get an H1B visa extension? 2 Answers as of February 08, 2011

My first H1B is expiring in September 2011 and the lawyer of my employer is preparing the petition for an extension of 3 years. Will I be required to leave again the U.S to get my stamp in a foreign embassy or consulate, or can I stay in the U.S and have my extension here?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC | Louis M. Piscopo
If you status is extended then you do not have to leave to get a visa, and can remain in the U.S.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/8/2011
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law | Linda Liang
You will have to get out of the country to have your H1B stamped. If you are legally here, you get to choose which consulate to go, instead of going back to your home country. Your lawyer should know this.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 2/8/2011
Click to View More Answers: