Do I need to hire a lawyer to file for Chapter 7 bankruptcy? 7 Answers as of October 27, 2010

Is it necessary to get a lawyer to help you get through a Chapter 7 bankruptcy? I do not want to have any more expenses but if it is worth it I would get legal help. Do you recommend getting a bankruptcy lawyer to sort through this mess?

Law Offices of Michael J. Berger
Law Offices of Michael J. Berger | Michael J. Berger
I most definitely recommend taking a free consultation with a certified specialist in bankruptcy law like myself if you are thinking about filing bankruptcy. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.
Greifendorff Law Offices, PC
Greifendorff Law Offices, PC | Christine Wilton
You do not NEED a lawyer to file chapter 7. You can do it yourself; you can hire a petition preparer to prepare your documents; or, you can hire a lawyer. Remember that only an attorney can give you legal advice and answer your questions. Anyone else is following your instructions in preparing your documents and cannot represent you at your meeting of creditors. You decide if want to hire an attorney
Law Office of Barbara Seeley Curtis
Law Office of Barbara Seeley Curtis | Barbara Curtis
Yes, you should seek counsel.
Marilyn J. Hochman
Marilyn J. Hochman | Hochman and Peppler, LLC
Although it is not necessary or required, YES get a lawyer and preferably hire one who will work with you and meet with you. Many low cost firms have a paralegal do bankruptcies from soup to filing. You may only meet the attorney for the first time at the 341 meeting of creditors. Some law firms hire other attorneys to go to the 341 meeting of creditors.

If your income is above the means test for the size of your family, you will probably have to go through the full means test. It is better to get legal advice and do it right rather than trying to do it yourself. Sometimes what is being asked can be interpreted many different ways a lay person and an attorney will have a different understanding of the rules.

Good luck!!
Sussman & Associates
Sussman & Associates | Mitchell Sussman
By all means you should hire an attorney. Especially if you have assets to protect.
    Yes, it is always a good idea to have an attorney.
    At least consult with an attorney to evaluate the complexity of your case and determine the risks of not using an attorney. In general, it is a very bad idea to file by yourself. You could end up completely messing up your case, and then have to pay thousands of dollars to have an attorney try to repair the damage, if it's even possible at that point.