Do I need to have a attorney for the DUI DMV hearing? How? 9 Answers as of July 27, 2015

Do I need a lawyer for the DUI DMV hearing for a first time DUI?

Absolutely, YES.
Unless you know what you are doing, understand the law and procedures involved, I'd suggest that you get a lawyer.
S. Joseph Schramm | Joseph Schramm
Some people choose not to retain counsel for a first-time DUI offense. However, all things being equal it is better to retain counsel, especially if you might be able to qualify for the accelerated disposition program, your BAC was .10% or higher or your charges arise from the use of drugs or other intoxicating substances. If you need your car for employment you should also consider retaining legal counsel.
Anderson Law Office
Anderson Law Office | Scott L. Anderson
In MN we have an Implied Consent Revocation hearing. If that is what you are referring to then you should certainly have representation.
No law says you need to have one. While I nearly always recommend that inquirers retain a lawyer for any court matter, the administrative hearings seem to have very little rhyme or reason. But to defend the DUI (=OWI) you would very likely benefit from retaining a lawyer. Good Luck.
    If you are interested in winning? Absolutely yes.
    The Law Offices of Harold L. Wallin | Harold L. Wallin
    It is not mandatory, however, it is strongly advisable. You will have a difficult time with the Secretary of State without an attorney, and may hurt your chances not only for this attempt, but in future ones as well.
    Ty Wilson Law | Ty Wilson
    It is highly recommended that you speak with one. Typically Judges want to know that you have discussed your options with an attorney, since you could be looking at additional jail time. Good luck.
    Jefferson and Biggs | Matthew Jefferson
    Yes. It would be very helpful.