Do I need to fill out any paperwork before I search for a patent attorney? 2 Answers as of October 22, 2010

I want to patent a product, but do not know the first step. Should I search for an attorney, or are there any readily available forms I should fill out to prepare?

Devon & Associates
Devon & Associates | Marcia A. Devon
I generally recommend that inventors complete a "Testimonial of Invention" which helps the inventor document his/her invention process and which can be used in Court if there is a dispute over who is the first inventor. It also assists the patent attorney in determining the type of patent which is best under the circumstances, whether to perform a patent search, and to provide a quote for the client. I have attached the Testimonial of Invention to this email response for your use and you may also find it on my web site.
Kafantaris Law Group
Kafantaris Law Group | Theo Kafantaris
You should seek an attorney and he will provide all of the paperwork for you to fill out. Feel free to contact me for more information.