Do I need to file tax return for a deceased father with no assets? 3 Answers as of July 14, 2011

My father passed away a couple of weeks ago with $0 assets left to his name and only a reverse mortgage and some credit card and medical bills. I'm the only next of kin left and I don't want to be the estate administrator given that there is no estate. If I just walk away and let the state take care of it, would I still have to file a last tax return for him or should I just leave everything and let the state sort that out too? Would I need to contact some state agency to let them know what's going on?

David Hoines Law
David Hoines Law | David Hoines
A person appointed by the court as personal representative of his estate is responsible for filing last tax return. So, you are responsible to do so if you follow the course you described.
Steven J. Fromm
Steven J. Fromm | Steven J. Fromm & Associates, P.C.
If your father had income below the federal filing threshold no final income tax return need be filed. As to his estate, you are not required to probate his estate especially in the current situation where his estate is insolvent.