Do I need to file Proof of Claim? 9 Answers as of October 06, 2016

I am a custodial parent who receives child from the non-custodial parent. I received a letter from child services that he filed chapter 13 but they are not going to file any action in bankruptcy court on my behalf because that is not a service they provide. They that said I am responsible for filing my own proof of claim. I am trying to determine if I need to file a proof of claim because he has been making his payments through his employer on time lately. I was awarded back pay when I first filed in 2013, but he has been making payments on the back pay as well through his employer.

If he has unpaid support from earlier months, you should file a proof of claim.
If you have a claim in a bankruptcy case, and you want to participate in payments from the Trustee, you must file a proof of claim. The POC would be for any arrears which may exist. In all likelihood, as an exception to the Automatic Stay, the payment directly from his wages will continue. If it does not, then you will need to take additional action.
D.J. Rausa, Attorney at Law | D.J. Rausa
File your proof of claim. Contact an attorney for assistance.
You will not need to make a claim for future child support, but you should file a claim for the arrears he owes, if any.
OlsenDaines | Rex Daines
If he was behind on the date he filed a the chapter 13, then you file the claim for the amount he was behind on that day. If we was not behind, then don't waste your time filing a claim for $0.00.
    Goldsmith & Guymon | Marjorie Guymon
    Yes, you must file a proof of claim for the back pay so that it can be paid through the plan. If you do not file a claim it will not be paid.
    If you want to get paid for the past due support, file the proof of claim. That way you will be paid this amount ahead of all other creditors.
    A proof of claim is an easy form to fill out. It should be available on the bankruptcy court web site where he filed. This will alert the trustee to your claim. The trustee has to make sure you are notified of the case. Attach a copy of the court order awarding you payments. This is a very important step. You can mail the proof of claim to the court with a self addressed envelope with the proper postage so you can get a file stamped copy back. You have to include the copy you want stamped and returned to you.
    Garner Law Office
    Garner Law Office | Daniel Garner
    In Oregon, your support would continue uninterrupted in the circumstances you describe, so no action need be taken. Of course, if it stops for some reason, then you would need to take action.