Do I need to file for for adjustment of status? 6 Answers as of May 06, 2011

I came to the USA with tourist visa and my children came with me. We have been here for 5 years and I just obtained my citizenship. Will my children automatically become citizens or do I stll need to file for adjustment of status?

Devore Law Group, P.A.
Devore Law Group, P.A. | Jeffrey A. Devore
In order for a child to automatically derive citizenship from a U.S. citizen parent, the child must be a) a lawful permanent resident; b) be under 18 years of age; and c) live in the custody of the citizen parent.
Under the Child Citizenship Act, a child automatically becomes a U.S. citizen when at least one parent of the child is a U.S. citizen, the child is under the age of 18 and is residing in the US in the legal and physical custody of the U.S. citizen parent based on a lawful admission for permanent residence. So, your children are USC as of the day you became a USC.
If children are not legal permanent residents yet, then your becoming a citizen does not result in them becoming US Citizens. The have to be legal permanent residents, under the age of 18 and residing with you when you become a citizen for them to automatically become US Citizens.
If you are a US citizen, you then file for your kids who are under 18 to become green card holders. When they obtain the green card and are under 18, they automatically skip to being US citizens. So you do have one step to make for them.
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law | Marie Michaud
If the children are under age 21, file a combined petition and adjustment of status. If the children obtain their green card before age 18, they will automatically become American citizen.
    I would need more details to determine if they would be entitled to automatic citizenship through you. Depends on their ages, did they become permanent residents, basis of your citizenship, their custody arrangement, etc. I would be happy to help you work through this if you want to call to schedule a consult to go over their cases.